15

Ashton's POV

I opened my laptop and went into my English project. I read it over and over to myself.

"What the fuck?" I whispered to myself.

It was so creepy-sounding. I sounded like a stalker. I'd just have to tell Mrs. Lynch I don't have a paper. There goes my perfect grade.

-

So the next day, when I walked into class, Mrs. Lynch noticed my expression.

"I-I don't have a paper, Mrs. Lynch. Can I hand it in in a week? It's just... it was really bad and I can make it ten times better if you'd let me."

She smiled at me and said, "Okay, Ash. You've had a perfect grade all year, so I can let this one slide. But I expect a great, Grade-A paper next week."

"Thank you, Mrs. Lynch. You won't regret this."

I sat beside Luke. I looked at his beautiful face, his jawline with the little bit of stubble visible, his icy blue eyes, his soft hair in a perfect quiff. I missed when we were friends. Now he's avoiding me with his eyes and trying to look anywhere but me. Then he finally looks at me and acknowledges the fact I'm staring at him.

"What do you want?" he asked, not rudely, but showing no emotion.

"I don't like Calum anymore," I admitted, which was true. "I realized that he's not worth the chase and that we should just stay friends. But... I guess I've had feelings for you this whole time."

"You fucking slut," he spat. "I love Michael, and I'm over you. Fuck you. Stop being a little bitchy slut and stop whoring around! You're gonna get us all split up."

I felt a stabbing pain in my chest. I just looked away and Luke and I ignored each other for the rest of class.

-

Luke's POV

As I ignored Ashton for the rest of the day, I didn't feel good about what I'd said to him. I could only imagine what we were doing to his heart. Would he ever forgive us? Forgive me? I hated lying to everyone. I was just as much a slut as he was being, and maybe it was partially my fault he was being treated like this. I had a plan, but I was afraid to put it into action. Would anything ever be the same afterwards?

There's only one way to find out.