8

Ashton's POV

"I do accept your apology, and I'm sorry too. But I don't want you to accept mine. It's obvious that even if you did, Michael would still hate me and things would still be awkward. I'm sorry."

Luke's face fell and more warm tears spilled down my face. I got up and ran out of the pizza parlour as fast as I could.

When I got outside, I didn't have a ride or anything, so I walked across the street and waited at the bus stop. I saw Luke watching me from his seat at Michael and Calum's booth. I made sure I was the only one around and burst into tears on the bench. I pulled up my hood to hide my face. I held my knees to my chest and buried my face in them, the tears dampening my jeans. I heard a bus pull up, and I quickly wiped my face as the door opened. I pulled myself together, got out my wallet, and boarded the bus. I paid the fee and found a seat at the back. There weren't many people on the bus besides me. I was thankful for it.

I watched the scenery blurring by outside the window as the bus neared my neighbourhood. The bus got to the mall a few blocks from my house and I pulled the chord, signaling to him that I wanted to stop. The driver stopped at a bus stop two blocks from my house and I got off.

"Thank you," I mumbled to the driver, and he gave me a smile and a nod.

As I stepped off the bus and made my way towards my house, my phone buzzed with a text from Luke. I didn't answer though. Maybe I'd call him when I got home. For now, I just kept my head down and put my headphones in. The bruise on my cheek was slowly going away but some purple was still visible.

I reached my house and used my key to open the door, my mum and dad not acknowledging me.

"I'm home," I called.

"Hi, honey," Mum said, not glancing up from her book.

I sighed and trudged up to my room. I pulled out my phone and dialed Luke's number.

"Hello?"

"L-Luke? Hey..."

"Hi, Ashton. Look, I'm sorry about what happened at the pizza-"

"No, Luke. It's my fault. I ran off like a baby and I probably made you upset."

"No," Luke said. "No, I get it, Ash. I got to go. My mum is calling me for dinner."

"Bye, Luke," I smiled. "Thanks for understanding."

"You're welcome, Ashton. I love- I mean, bye."

He hung up quickly and I felt butterflies when he'd almost said "I love you".

But I don't even like Luke.

Do I?