7

Calum's POV

"You've been bummed as fuck lately," Michael told Luke. "So Calum and I are inviting you for pizza after school today."

"Yeah," I said. "It seems appropriate."

"You're not inviting Ashton are you?" he asked hesitantly.

"God, no!" Michael protested rather rudely.

"No, we aren't," I said sadly. I felt bad for the guy but at the same time I wanted him to get out of here for a little while.

Luke nodded understandingly.

"Okay," he said. "Are you driving us, Cal?"

"Yep," I said, popping the "P".

-

After school, everyone headed out for the weekend, and Michael and Luke got in the car. I started the engine and turned on the radio.

"Ooh, Blink-182!" Luke exclaimed. "Turn it up, please."

I turned it up loud and pulled out of the parking lot, making my way to the pizza parlour.

-

"Where do you want to sit?" I asked the boys.

"There's a booth over there that's open," Luke pointed out, pointing his finger in its direction.

As we sat down, a waitress strut over. I noticed her from our school. She was hot.

"Hi, boys. I'll be your server, Kelly. What can I get you guys to drink?"

"Pepsi," I said.

"Coke," Luke said.

"Water," Michael said awkwardly, after Luke and I requesting for soda pop.

"So you really like Ashton?" I asked Luke, sitting next to me.

"Obviously, you ditz-brain. You're four years late," he spat, not intending to be rude.

"I meant after all the shit that's going on lately, you still like him?" I corrected myself.

"Yes," Luke said. "I want him more than ever now that he likes you, Calum."

I saw his eyes turn dark and tears forming, and he looked down at his lap. He licked his lips and blinked away the tears.

"Hey, let's forget about you-know-who-"

"Cough, slut bag, cough," Michael said monotonously.

"-and enjoy ourselves," I finished, glaring at Michael, who shrugged innocently.

"Here are your drinks," Kelly said, placing them politely on our coasters. "Are you ready to order?"

"One large extra-cheese," I spoke, and she scribbled away at her notepad.

"Is that all?" she asked, winking at Michael.

Michael blushed and bit his lip.

"Can I get your number?" he asked confidently.

Luke struggled to stifle his laughter, and I clamped my hand over his mouth and tried to stop mine. Kelly wrote on her notepad on a new sheet of paper and handed it to Michael with a smile.

"Coming right up."

She strut away and I saw Michael trying to stop blushing.

"She was so hot," he gasped.

"That's the first girl that would want your number," I joked. "She may have some vision disabilities."

Michael reached over the table and smacked my arm.

"Ow, you bitch!" I snapped, kicking his shin under the table.

"Fuck!" he cried, reaching down to rub his shin. "Okay, now we are even."

As we waited for the pizza, we avoided the subject of Ashton and talked more about the fun stuff we'd be doing when summer came soon.

"Okay, I need to ask you something, Luke," I said nervously. "Why did you and Ashton act so awkward yesterday, and why were you both covered in bruises?"

Luke bit his lip and hesitated to answer.

"I-I invited him o-over because I wanted to g-get closer to him. I went to the bathroom, and w-when I came back, he was looking at my English p-paper," he said quickly. "I yelled at him, he yelled at me, he tried to apologize, and we started f-fighting. I'm so s-sorry for him."

"Don't be!" Michael said. "The slut deserved it."

That's when I noticed a short curly-haired boy in a red drawstring hoodie at the booth against the windows maybe twenty feet behind Michael. He was fiddling with his fingers and there were tears on his face.

"Shut up, he's over there," I whispered. "If he hears you-"

"I hope he heard me," Michael said.

"Don't be so mean to him. I'm mad at him too but I still want everything to go back to normal. That won't happen if you keep hating on him," I retorted.

"I'm not nice to sluts," he spoke louder and I saw Ashton yanking on his sleeves, which were too big for him, and more tears on his face.

"Stop!" I shrieked, grabbing Michael's arm. "Stop."

Luke nudged me, and I stood up. He walked over to Ashton's booth and sat across from him.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath.

-

Luke's POV

"H-Hi," I said as I sat across from Ashton.

He looked up at me, his beautiful hazel eyes glossy and watery, his lip slightly shaking, the baggy sleeves clutched in his hand, his fingers the only part of his hand visible. He'd never looked so vulnerable as he did right now.

"Ashton, I'm really sorry," I started. "I just-"

"Save it, Luke," he whispered. I almost didn't hear him.

"What?" I asked.

"I do accept your apology, and I'm sorry too. But I don't want you to accept mine. It's obvious that even if you did, Michael would still hate me and things would still be awkward. I'm sorry."

He stood up and ran out of the parlour. My heart never hurt so much before. I got up slowly and walked back to Mike and Cal.

"What happened?" Michael asked.

"I apologized, but he said he doesn't want me to accept his. He said you'd still hate him and things would still be awkward. Then he whispered 'I'm sorry' and left crying."

I took a slice of pizza- which arrived while I was with Ashton- and waited for their responses. Michael just continued to eat and shrugged. Calum gave me a small smile.

"He'll come around, Luke," he said, draping an arm over my shoulder.

I didn't believe it though.