Chapter 29

" So soon ? " Caspian asked . I couldn't see him but I knew he was running his fingers through his hair . " Afraid so , " Bianca answered " , We have to make sure the others don't stop them . " I shuffled uncomfortably . Why was Bianca helping us escape ? Did she know something I didn't ? Caspian sighed " , I still don't see why they have to go . "

" You know Peter and Susan , they spiral at the mention of danger . They mean well but if they lock her up she'll lash out ." Me ? Lash out ? " They want to keep their family safe and this is the best way . ( y / n ) should discover and master her power on her own or someone could get hurt . " What power ? The greatest thing I've done is manage to live vicariously through fanfiction ." But Edmund is with her - " Caspian interjected " , won't he - " " He will make sure Jadis doesn't get to her . Don't pout . You know I'm right . " Bianca giggled . Did she have a thing for Cas , no he was with Susan . Could this be a Love triangle I'm only discovering now ? NO . Focus . " You'll see them again . Now we have to go . Take care of Lucy , I'll distract Peter . "

Caspian's footsteps echoed down the hall as Bianca whipped back the curtain . All she said was " Go " and I scurried away . Edmund was waiting for me by the painting with an anxious look on his and . . . and SPECTACLES . Before I could even ask what was on his face he grabbed my hand . He banged his foot against the tiles . The ground beneath us opened revealing a stair case . He led me all the way down . Once we hit the bottom the ceiling closed and darkness enveloped us . A feeling of suffocation washed over me . Everything was pitch black , damp , and claustrophobic . I tightened my grip on Edmunds hand . Ed turned on his flashlight and smirked at me " , scared , ( y / n ) ? "

" You wish , " I pushed him away . We walked in silence for awhile until I heard something . " Follow the sound of rushing water , " Ed whispered . We walked on until the tunnel opened into a meadow . We exited next to a waterfall . The moonlight illuminated the pool of water beside us and the sleeping flowers . Fireflies danced about the trees looking like fallen stars . " CottageCore , " I whispered to the night .

Edmund tugged at my cloak " , we can admire the scenery later , come on . " He took me to the far end of the valley , if he hadn't pointed it out I wouldn't have noticed the ivy covered stone cottage . The neutral colours helped hide the house from the world . The night lighting didn't help either .

He forced open the door and we headed inside . Edmund took a box of matches out of his rucksack , illuminated every candle he could find , and fell into an old rocking chair . I suppose the anxiety of running away tired him out . Spinning I examined our new quarters . The kitchen was modest with a basin , oven and stove , and several open shelves . The living room had a bay window . Its walls were practically one large bookshelf housing those old leather cover books . I resisted the urge to grab one off the shelf and opened one of the doors . The red door lead to the bathroom , not very lavished but at least their was a bathtub . The second opened into a bedroom . I found a writing desk with an empty ink jet and exquisite quill , a wardrobe with tiny flower carvings and one bed .

" Hey , Ed , " I called " , what are our sleeping arrangements ? " the two-people-one-bed trope seemed better when I wasn't one of the two .