eighteen- a day with edmund

Umbridge led Cassie and Edmund to her office, heels clicking to interrupt the quiet corridors. Edmund would throw Cassie smirks, finding the situation more amusing than serious. Cassie assumed Edmund didn't know the punishment for detention, and thought about his reaction after finding out. They finally reached her office, where Umbridge gestured for Cassie and Edmund to sit after pushing the chairs farther apart.

Her office was- pink. Pink wallpaper covered the walls, along with pictures of kittens. There were several vases of dried flowers spread around the room, each leaving a discreet smell.

"Names and houses?" Umbridge asked, as if these weren't her students and they weren't in their robes.

"Er- Cassiopeia Scamander, Gryffindor."

"Edmund Pevensie, Slytherin."

"Now," she began, "I think a week's detention will do for you two for being out far past hours- in a broom closet."

"We weren't-"

"Enough, Miss Scamander- unless you'd like more detention?" Umbridge asked, Cassie replied with shaking her head. "Very well. I think it'd be best if you both stayed over the holidays to complete the detentions."

"We're both going home for the holidays, though." said Edmund confidently.

"Are any of your family members dying?" asked Umbridge, earning head shakes from both kids. "Then I don't see why you can't spend your holidays at Hogwarts. Unless you both want to so desperately leave Hogwarts that you want me to put in a transfer?"

Both Cassie and Edmund shook their heads slowly as Umbridge smiled brightly at both of them. "Perfect, now head to your dorms before I assign another week's detention."

The two students walked out Umbridge's office in comfortable silence, until Cassie began.

"Do you know what happens at Umbridge's detentions?"

Edmund furrowed his brows in confusion, "How bad could it be?"

"Black punishment quills." Cassie said slowly.

Edmund stopped in his tracks and grabbed Cassie's upper arm, "You're kidding?"

"I wish I was," she sighed, "she uses them on Harry all the time and he comes back to the common room with bloody hands."

He looked conflicted for a second. "I-I'll do double so you don't have to, you're in trouble because of me after all."

"What?" she asked, surprised at the boy's kindness. "No, of course not. I was out late as well, it was bound that I would get caught one of these nights."

"Why were you out, anyway?" he asked.

"I was comforting Cho. Something.. happened and I wanted to make sure she was alright." Cassie replied casually.

"That's really sweet. You really care about your friends, don't you?" said Edmund.

"Of course, I would do the same for you." Cassie said, smiling at the boy who smiled back. Edmund offered to walk her to Gryffindor Tower, to which she denied multiple times but he insisted.

"Careful, the stairs move." said Cassie, guiding Edmund to Gryffindor Tower.

"I'be never been here, to Gryffindor Tower." Edmund said, eyeing the Fat Lady. "How do you get in?"

"Mimbulus mimbletonia." said Cassie, as they watched the portrait swing open to reveal the common room. "I'd say don't tell anyone, but Fred and George throw parties as much as they can, so."

"I won't, Slytherin's password is Pure-Blood, much to my displeasure." Edmund replied, adding that last part to make sure she didn't feel uncomfortable for being a half-blood. "Anyways, Goodnight Cassie. See you during the holidays."