four- potions partners

"Settle down." said Snape coldly as everyone entered the classroom. The class was already quiet.

"Before we begin the lesson for today, I think it's appropriate to remind you that next June you will be taking an important examination, in which you will prove how much you learned about the composition and use of magical potions. Moronic through some of this class undoubtedly are, I expect you to scape an 'Acceptable' in your OWL, or suffer my...displeasure."

His eyes lingered on the Gryffindor students, mainly on Neville. Cassie remembered helping Neville make sure Trevor wouldn't be poisoned in their third year potions class- he told his grandma and she sent Cassie a collection of chocolate frogs.

"Of course, after this year many of you will cease studying with me- I only take the very best into my NEWT level classes, meaning some of us will certainly be saying goodbye." His gaze now lingering on Harry. "But we have another year before that very happy farewell, so wether you are planning on taking NEWT or not, I advise you all to try your best on my OWL.

"Because of recent events about house unity, I'm assigning seats mixing you two up- much to my displeasure." said Snape. He hasn't assigned seats- well ever.

"Everyone gather your belongings and I'll call your name to which you will sit with your new partners."

Cassie shot Hermione a pleading look, hopeful that she would get to sit near Blaise. If she got assigned with Draco she would jump off the Astronomy Tower.

"Potter, Nott."

Both boys looked at each other skeptical, both not moving.

"NOW." shouted Snape, causing both boys to flinch and make their way to their seats.

He kept calling names. Parkinson and Granger, Weasley and Zabini, Patil and Crabbe...

"Scamander and Pevensie."

Cassie made her way to the seat next to Edmund and slowly sat down. Edmund watched her carefully- she threw him a quick smile. He watched as she put her hair in a low ponytail and drew her attention back to the board.

"Today we will be mixing a potion that often comes up at Ordinary Wizarding Level: the Draught of Peace, a potion to cam anxiety and soothe agitation. Be warned, however, if you are too heavy handed with the ingredients you will put the drinker into a heavy and sometimes irreversible sleep-"

Edmund was dozing off, doodling on his parchment- he knew Cassie would help him in the final product. He took a longer look at her- she got prettier, if possible. He saw her eyes flickering between the paper and the board- eagerly taking notes as to the nonsense the professor was saying. Edmund realized they haven't had many interactions before, but from the amount of times Malfoy talked about the girl he felt like he personally knew her.

"You have an hour and a half to brew this....start." said Snape, and students began talking to their partners and discussing tactics.

Cassie quickly stood up and made her way to get the ingredients. She had a feeling Edmund didn't know what they were doing, she felt his eyes linger on her while the professor was talking. After grabbing the materials she made her way back to the desk, setting up the cauldron and making sure all the materials were on her side.

"Do you need help?" asked Edmund.

"You could do the stirring when we get to that stage." said Cassie, focused on the potion more than the conversation.

After ten minutes, Edmund was growing bored of doing nothing. "How was your summer?"

Cassie was taken aback at his sudden need for conversation, but didn't turn the boy down.