seven- friends, or not?

A/N: The plot is exposed in this chapter and it may be a little confusing but you guys j gotta wait to see how it plays out n put trust in the process.

Cassie sat in the library until she was dragged out by Madame. Unfinished homework in hand in the cold corridors, Cassie then made her way to the Astronomy Tower. When she got there she opened the door slightly, and when green robes came into view she stepped in.

"Miss me already?" said Cassie questioningly.

Edmund turned quickly and looked at her, smile increasing when he saw her in the doorway.

"You have no idea how good it is to have a friend out of Slytherin."

"And why is that?"

"The blood supremacy is getting out of hand- all that talk about Harry.." he drifted.

"Y-you believe Harry?" asked Cassie surprisingly.

"Of course, anyone who doesn't is an idiot." said Edmund laughing, looking over his shoulder to see Cassie's happy reaction. "Could I ask you something?"

"Of course." Cassie said.

"What- do friends do?" Edmund asked, scratching the back of his head. She could tell he looked uncomfortable asking it, but there was something that threw her off.

Cassie stepped back. She'd seen him around with Draco Malfoy Blaise Zabini at Hogsmeade and meals and supposed they'd been friends.

"Friends?" she asked.

"Yea- you've got plenty of them. What do you do- what would we do?"

"Edmund I think you're over thinking it. You can do anything with your friends- as long as you're happy. We could stay here and do homework, or go to the library, or Hogsmeade. There's no rules for friendship." said Cassie, trying to figure out Edmund's confused look. "D-do you not do that? With Blaise, or Malfoy?"

Edmund look a seat in front the biggest window in the tower and gestured for Cassie to sit next to him. "In Slytherin it's like- people are forced to be friends. Parents connections mean friendship connections, if you will, and since my pure blood family are open supporters of Dumbledore..I think you can figure out the rest."

Cassie hadn't expected for him to be this vulnerable. She was a good listener, not comforter. Cassie looked up at Edmund with a soft look in her eyes, "I'm sorry I'm more of a listener.."

Edmund threw his head back and let a laugh escape his lips. "It's alright, I've said too much."

"No no, you can tell me how you feel- and as a friend I can try and comfort you. We are friends, aren't we?" Cassie asked with a smile on her face.

His brown eyes met her blue ones and his lips tugged upwards. "Friends."

Cassie pulled her book bag out and began working on her essays while Edmund did the same. They both worked in comfortable silence and only talked when asking each other homework questions. It felt nice- being in the presence of someone you know won't judge your beliefs, house, everything. Edmund would occasionally look up to make sure Cassie hadn't disappeared, still hoping she wouldn't be fooled by his acting and figure out what's going on. He wasn't sure why he did it- listening to Draco Malfoy's suggestion of owling her when he should have waited until the next potions class. But once he saw her smiling face on the platform, running towards her friends, he had a feeling he needed to befriend her- to get to know her. In the moment he looked at her while doing homework, he realized he made the wrong choice by agreeing to Draco's plan.

-

September 1, Slytherin Common Room