seventeen- nocturnal

After finding out Fred, George, and Harry had been banned from Quidditch for life, Cassie decided to go to sleep early that night. Apparently she had missed Hagrid's return and was informed of it the next day during breakfast, and Umbridge's inspection and suspicion.

It was now Tuesday, a cold, cold Tuesday.

"We're workin' in here today!" Hagrid said happily to the approaching students. "Bit more sheltered! Anyway, they prefer the dark."

"What prefers the dark?" Malfoy asked Crabbe and Goyle. "What did he say prefers the dark- did you hear?"

Cassie noticed Edmund not standing with Malfoy, but instead with Zabini. She shot him a quick smile, in which he gladly returned, and looked back at Hagrid.

"Right, well, I've bin savin' a trip inter the Forest fer yer fifth year. Thought we'd go an' see these creatures in their natural habitat. Now, what we're studyin' today is pretty rare, I reckon I'm probably the on'y person in Britain who's managed ter train 'em."

"And you're sure they're trained, are you?" asked Malfoy with panic in his voice, "Only it wouldn't be the first time you'd brought wild stuff to class, would it?"

"Course they're trained." replied Hagrid, hoisting a dead cow over his shoulder.

"So what happened to your face, then?" interrogated Malfoy.

"Mind yer business!" said Hagrid, angrily. "Now, if yeh've finished askin' stupid questions, follow me!"

The class seemed reluctant as Harry and Hermione led the class, but everyone soon followed. Edmund gestured for Cassie to stay back, and she walked slower as everyone else to give the boy an opportunity to catch up.

"Hey." he said, looking down at her.

"Hi." she replied, gesturing for them to continue walking.

"Gather round', gather roun'." said Hagrid. "Now, they'll be attracted by the smell o' the meat, but I'm going ter give them a call anyway, 'cause they'll like ter know it's me."

Hagrid gave a shrieking cry which echoed into the woods like the call of some odd bird. Nobody laughed, most seemed scared. He gave another cry, and another until Cassie noticed Harry nudging Ron and pointing in the direction of- nothing?

"Do you see something?" whispered Cassie to Edmund.

"Am I supposed to?" he asked.

"Not sure..."

"Oh, an' here comes another one!" said Hagrid, proudly in the direction of the forest. "Now, put yer hands up, who can see em'?"

Harry and Neville raised their hands.

"Excuse me," said Malfoy proudly, "what exactly are we supposed to be seeing?"

Hagrid pointed to the cow carcass on the ground, bits of flesh stripping themselves away from the bones and vanishing mid air.

"What's it doing?" asked Parvati. "What's eating it?"

"Thestrals." replied Hagrid proudly, earning a soft 'oh!' from Hermione and Cassie.

"What is it?" asked Edmund worryingly.

Cassie sighed and whispered to the boy, "Only people who have witnessed death can see the creatures."

He replied with a soft look at Harry and Neville, and gave Cassie a nod in understanding.

"Righ' now, who can tell me why some o' yeh can see 'em and some can't?" Hagrid asked the class, Hermione raising her hand.