eleven- clipboards

Start from the beginning

"You think McGonagall was right, do you?" asked Harry angrily.

"I wish she hadn't taken points, I think she's right to warn you not to loose you temper with Umbridge." said Hermione.

Harry didn't speak to Hermione all through Charms, however he must have forgotten about being cross with her once they entered the Transfiguration classroom. Umbridge was holding her clipboard in the corner of the room.

Professor McGonagall marched into the classroom and gave Professor Umbridge no indication of her existence.

"Ahem," started McGonagall, "Mr Finnigan, kindly come here and hand back the homework- Miss Brown, please take this box of mice and hand one to each student-"

"Hem hem," said Professor Umbridge, only to be ignored by McGonagall. Seamus handed back essays and Cassie was ecstatic to see she earned an E.

"Right then, everyone listen, most of you have now successfully vanished your snails and even those who were left with a certain amount of shell have got the gist of the spell. Today-"

"Hem hem." said Professor Umbridge.

"Yes?" asked Professor McGonagall, turning to the pink stubbly lady in the corner.

"I was just wondering, Professor, wether you received my note telling you the date and time of your inspec-"

"Obviously I received it, or I would have asked what you were doing in my classroom." said Professor McGonagall firmly. Cassie caught Ron's eye and they both had to cover their mouths to prevent the laughter from escaping. "As I was saying, today we will be-"

"Hem hem." interrupted Professor Umbridge again.

"I wonder," started Professor Mcgonagall, "how to expect to gain any idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? I do not usually permit people to talk when I'm talking."

Professor Umbridge didn't talk the rest of class.

Cassie was excited to experience such an interesting Transfiguration lesson, however not so excited when she saw a familiar pink cardigan on her way down to Care of Magical Creatures. She once again rewarded Harry another detention, and Cassie, Ron, and Hermione offered to stay up and wait for Harry's arrival. They worked together on homework, and Ron brought down Harry's homework for Cassie to work on- which earned a look away from Hermione.

Harry walked in the common room with a scarf wrapped around his hand and Cassie assumed the worst.

"Here," said Hermione, pushing a small bowl of a yellow liquid towards him. Hermione and Cassie had worked on it while he was gone, "soak your hand in that, it's a solution of strained and pickled Murtlap tentacles, it should help."

As Harry placed his hand in the yellow liquid anyone could see the relief wash over his face. "Thank you." he said gratefully. Crookshanks had appeared at one point and he was now scratching his ears.

"I still reckon you should complain about this," said Ron quietly.

"No." said Harry flatly.

"But if McGonagall were to hear-"

"She'd go nuts. And how long d'you reckon it'd take Umbridge to pass another decree saying anyone who complains about the High Inquisitor gets sacked immediately?" Harry asked dully.

"She's an awful woman." said Hermione quickly. "I was just saying to Ron and Cassie before you came in...we've got to do something about her."

"I suggested poison." said Ron happily.

"I agreed." said Cassie.

"No I mean..we're not going to learn any defense from her at all." said Hermione.

"What d'you reckon we do about that?" asked Ron in a low voice. "'S too late, she's got the job and she's here to stay. Fudge'll make sure of that."

"Well," said Hermione slowly, "I was thinking today that- that maybe the time's come where we should just do it ourselves."

"Do what ourselves?" asked Harry suspiciously.

"Well...learn Defense Against the Dark Arts ourselves." said Hermione while twiddling with her fingers.

"Come off it," groaned Ron, "you want us to do extra work? You do realize Harry and I are behind and it's only the second week?"

"But this is more important than homework!" argued Hermione.

Cassie goggled at Hermione. "Who are you and what have you done with Hermione Granger?"

"I didn't think there was anything more important in the universe than homework!" said Ron collecting himself.

"Don't be silly, of course there is." said Hermione. "It's about preparing ourselves, like Harry said in Umbridge's first lesson. It's about making sure we can really defend ourselves, if we don't learn anything for a whole year-"

"We can't do much ourselves." said Ron sadly. "I mean we could go to the library and practice I suppose.."

"No I agree, we've gone past the stage where we can just learn things out of books." said Hermione. "We need a teacher, a proper one that can show us how to use spells and correct us when we're wrong."

"Lupin?" asked Cassie.

"No, not Lupin. He's too busy with The Order and anyway, the most we could see him is during Hogsmeade weekends- which isn't enough." said Hermione.

"Who then?" asked Harry.

"Isn't it obvious?" said Hermione, heaving a very deep sign. "You, Harry."

"Me what?" asked Harry.

"You should teach us Defense Against the Dark Arts."

Harry looked at Cassie and Ron who both seemed to agree with Hermione.

"I agree with Hermione." said Cassie, earning a nod from Ron.

"But I'm not a teacher, I can't-"

"You're the best in the year at Defense Against the Dark Arts.." said Hermione slowly.

"Me? You've beaten me in every test-"

"Actually I haven't." said Hermione coolly. "You beat me in third year when we had a real teacher who knew the subject. But this isn't about test results, Harry. Think what you've done!"

"How d'you mean?" asked Harry.

"You know what, I'm not sure I want someone this stupid teaching me." Ron said to Hermione and Cassie smirkingly, earning a laugh from both girls.

The night ended awkwardly after Harry smashed the bowl that was healing his hand, however Cassie was sure he would agree sometime soon.