I Could Fall In Love..52..

"Dionne?"

I pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.

Is she really here?

"Yeah, it's me." She smiles, leaning against the counter. "I'm really here."

"What are you doing here?" I ask as I lift my head from the table.

"I came to apologize." She begins in a soft voice. "Jazz, I'm sorry for all the shit I've put you through, and I wanted to let you know I've dropped the charges."

I'd forgotten all about those charges.

However, I have been wondering why I haven't been getting calls from the courthouse lately.

I guess she dropped the charges long ago.

Hmmm, but why does she want to apologize...now?

"Why all of a sudden do you want to apolo-lie to me?" I tilt my head to one side in disbelief.

She signs and starts smiling again. "Jazz, I'm not apolo-lying. I'm apologizing. Honestly."

I regard her harshly, although I know she's telling the truth.

We may not be friends anymore, but I still know Dionne like the back of my hand.

She's telling the truth.

"Answer my question." I fold my arms, saving face, as I lean back in the chair.

"What question?"

"Why all of a sudden do you want to apologize?" I repeat.

"I miss you." She quietly confesses and I scoff. "Jazz, I do." She assures as she leans over the counter. "My life is empty without you and Teyonna in it. I miss you guys. Y'all are my best friends.

"EX-best friends!" I remind with an attitude.

"I just want you to forgive me, Jazz, because I love you, and I would never ever do anything intentionally to hurt you."

She emphasizes "intentionally" and I actually believe her.

She's really telling the truth.

When I realize this, the wall falls and my face softens.

She wasn't trying to hurt me...but why did she do all those things to me?

Why was she trying to ruin my relationship with Michael?

My face softens even more and we silently stare at each other.

Dionne arches a brow the next second. "Jazz, what happened to your eye?"

"Shit." I look down at the floor then stand up. "Umm, I've gotta get back to work."

Keith steps off the elevator and angrily walks towards me.

"Jazz, in the locker room now." He demands, walking past Dionne, as he points to the back and she covers her face. Is she hiding from him? "Now!!"

I jump a little, and to keep down more drama, I follow Keith to the locker room.

Dionne jogs away from the counter as Keith closes the locker room door.

*

"Excuse me," Dionne begins, breathlessly, as she opens a break room door. "Do you know which room Michael Jackson is in?"

Denyse looks over her shoulder and mutters. "Ummm, no. Sorry, I'm not sure. Do you need something?"

"Yes." Dionne breathes.