Chapter 12: Distance

Blake had leaned over to Ruby's face, a bit too close for 'friends', and that's what kept the ice queen up all night.
Were they friends? Or perhaps more?

*End of FlashBack*

Weiss snapped, not into anger but reality. She slapped herself with all the power she could, not much sound produced by, despite how quiet it appeared, it felt like fire on skin. The girl held in tears, sniffling quietly. Her cries were slow to grow but the impact was definitely strengthening and so Weiss stood in her sleeping attire. While she still could, she held back and got herself dressed. Once she was ready to leave, the girl slipped on her shoes and left the dorm without another thought, her scroll still on the bed.

Weiss wasn't so prepared but she didn't care where she went, as long as it was away from Ruby and her problems. The wandering girl was scared, for herself and Ruby. She knew she was well-off but wasn't as arrogant as a typical rich kid. Weiss never thought she was capable of giving or receiving love, a sad but honest truth, ice queen had a heart of ice itself. 'Eyes are the window to the soul, huh?' She put her hand to her right eye, a scar. That's all the girl saw herself for. If the eyes were the window to the soul, Weiss was nothing but a broken child.

Weiss walked on for what felt like eternity, she looked back and sighed, Beacon was nowhere in sight. The girl made her way to a pub and sat silently in the corner.

*Ruby's POV*

*beep beep, beep beep*

Ruby opened her eyes to the sound of an alarm, which read '8:00 AM.' It was never normal for the little red to arise when her alarm ordered, only proving the lack of comfort Ruby felt in her slumber, but there is always a first time for everything Ruby thought. She looked around, checking if anyone else may be awake and spotted Weiss's empty bed.

"Wait, g-guys?"

Ruby looked to the opposite bunks, a sound of creaking greeted the young girl, no one else was awake.

"I call, and you ANSWER!" a pillow flew across the room, making its way with much speed and accuracy, eventually slamming into Blake who laid on the top bunk.

"Felines move when they please. Go away, Ruby." Blake hissed, much like a cat. Slightly concerning the little red riding hood.

"You didn't need to move, I was going to warn you... As dear and caring teammates, one of us went missing!"

Yang sat up swiftly and the sound of 'missing', hitting her head as she did so, "shit! Wait who? What?"

"Yang, there's an empty bed right below, how did you not notice?"

"What is that girl up to? Someone call her!" Blake ordered the two sisters and stomped down to the door to wear her leather coat, "I'll look for her." The girl swiftly opened the door and slammed it quickly behind her.

Ruby dialled the missing girl, all efforts were put in vain. Weiss's scroll was found underneath her bedsheets. 'Weiss, where did I go wrong?'

"Ruby, she's going to come back some time soon. It's oka-"

"DO YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND HOW HARD IT IS FOR ME RIGHT NOW?!"

Although she was noticeably startled by Ruby's sudden change of tone, Yang went over to hug her sister. No matter what treatment she received, the blonde could never turn to hate her family. Especially not Ruby.

"There, there. Stay strong and we'll keep looking, okay?" Yang sat by Ruby, patting her small head. She couldn't help but notice a bit of a unique reaction to Weiss's disappearance of all people. The two sat by each other, little red riding hood crying for minutes at a time in her sister's arms. Quite slowly but surely, the minutes built up into a solid hour.

"W-Wait Yang. We're really not going to classes anymore are we?" Ruby sat up and wiped her face clean.

"Ruby, did you think about how late we would be? I'm sure we could come up with an excuse for our absence sooner or later."

"Okay..." Ruby replied in a nearly-silent tone and turned her head to face the window. 'Please come back. I need you.'