14: Hyll's Deepest Secret

Rayll Hyll Reiss Perspective

I didn't waste any seconds as I quickly entered my carriage and commanded the driver to visit my grandfather. I was so concentrated on my thoughts I paid no mind to my surroundings. Minutes or possibly hours later, we successfully arrive with no delays.

I rush towards grandfather's whereabouts after asking a blushing maid and there he was, reading a book while enjoying the scenery outside. He was sitting under an oak tree with a neutral look. His short dark hair dance with the wind and his crimson eyes we're showing sadness. I approached him and sat next to him.

"It is peaceful yes?" I couldn't understand why he asks that but I nodded my head in agreement as I observe how the wind gently sways the leaves.

"If only our ancestors didn't start a war we wouldn't be cursed." He stopped reading as his crimson eyes meet my icy orbs. He then looks above the sky and sighs. Did he just release a sigh?! From my observations, he doesn't sigh!

"I expected you to ask more but you're a well-behaved child. As expected from the heir of Reiss."

Why is he praising me suddenly?

"Grandfather, about the curse. Did Knile inherited it?"

I just want confirmation. If she inherited it, mother's love towards her would make sense.

"Yes, she inherited it from our blood. It was a curse where the child would possess great magic and abilities that would also cause her suffering. She was supposed to die after her tenth birthday but surprisingly, your mother found a way to stop the curse for killing her. Do you still hate your sister after listening to what I said?"

So he knew... He knew how I envied and hated her...

Do you still hate her?

He's quite the straightforward person I tend to avoid.

Though truthfully, I still hated her. I even wish for her to die when I was a kid.

"I don't know... "

"I see, but in your thoughts; if something exists is it true?" My brows knitted after hearing his question. Why is it so difficult to talk with him?

"Possibly," I answered as I briefly look at him.

"The curse exists and it scared our family for decades. It was a curse and blessing given by a dragon towards your ancestor, Hyll. It was given that the curse shall be inherited by the firstborn yet, something unexpected happened. " He then gazes at me with a solemn look.

"You should feel happy that an older child of yours is still breathing."
.
.
.
.
.
.

Ah, I understand it now. Knile inherited the curse that should've been mine.

"It bothers me that the only solution we came up with is to let your mother marry your father. The curse should've stopped since House Reiss has strong magic abilities than the curse and we we're hoping that the magic could overcome the curse but instead, the curse became unpredictable. We rejoiced when you were born since you didn't inherit our features that is a sign you have the curse but when your younger sister came, the happiness that your mother felt completely vanish. The despair and agony she felt when her older brother died reappeared and that causes her to slowly fall into the pit of madness. Her madness turns into an obsession, an obsession to destroy the curse. Not only did the curse killed my older brother and my first child, it also destroyed our family. For generations, The family of Hyll is a mess. The public doesn't know this kind of information so I suggest you keep it to yourself. Try not to tell Celestine about it."

The information made my emotions go numb. I don't understand what I feel anymore. My brain couldn't process anymore because of the sudden and unexpected twist.

"Would you also mind telling me how or why the dragon curse our ancestor?" I ask with a nervous voice.

"According to the book, which isn't known by the royalty, Hyll tried protecting his family by killing one of the dragons that approach them. He was successful in killing it but when the dragon saw how the family rejoice and loved each other, the dragon gave him his dark magic that soon contradicted with the blessing of the goddess and became a curse just like it wanted. Of course, he didn't die quickly because he still needs to win the war for his family. The war soon ended and he receives his honor, title, and glory. The family held a celebration and everything should've end happily ever after just like fairytales, but just like your mother; he became a mad man. No one knew why it happened and soon he died."

"Are you saying anyone from the direct bloodline of Hyll would experience insanity? Is that why mother ignored us? Because she was partially insane?"

"Yes, the cursed child will go insane but that's different from your mother. Your mother slowly went insane because she doesn't want his eldest brother to die. They have a strong connection if I may say it. After his death, she dedicated her life researching stuff about the curse until she found a solution which I previously mentioned. Her happy self returns knowing she succeeded and you weren't curse but of course, happiness would not last forever." He said.

"But even so, I can't forgive Knile. She wishes for mother to die back then and she didn't understand why mother become that way! She... She was happy when mother died!" I clench my fist, trying to stop myself from letting my emotion get the best of me. It was stupid actually... I didn't know who to blame. I need someone to be blamed. I need to accuse someone so that I could release this hatred around my heart.

"Your eyes are emitting light. Control your emotion and don't let your hatred get the best of you. Knile is not the one who is at fault for she is a product of our ancestor's stupidity. Instead, the fault should be blamed towards the crown." My eyes widen as I quickly stared at grandfather. As I stare at him, I can feel his hatred and malice.

They were the same eyes I saw when Knile collapsed.

They were empty... His eyes were empty.

But even so, isn't this treason?! We would be executed if someone hears what grandfather said!

"The first king... The dragons weren't the source of evil but instead, the fault is within humans. Our desires got the best of us. " He whispered the last part as he gazes at the bird, flying towards North. "I suppose we will soon pay the price."

What does he mean by that? Is there another war coming?

"I see, thank you for the information grandfather. I think I should go now."

"Tell Knile to visit me when you see her."

"I will."

I don't know how to act in front of Knile anymore knowing how I owe her my life. I'm still, confuse. If I was the one who's curse, will mother love me?

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛✧༺♥༻✧♛┈⛧┈┈•༶
Does anyone read attack on Titan?