73: A String of Trust

To transfer Knile's dark magic unto him, there were two paths.

The first path was for her to agree and gave him her life with the help of a magic contract. Using that, he will gain permission to kill her which will then, transfer the magic onto him since she gave him authority. A lot of spells would be utilized for the transfer as the book says.

Now that would also explain why he trick her in the first place. She was wrong to think that the slave contract was about trust. It was much deeper than she had imagined.

The second, through genetics. This method was funny for her at the very least considering how she didn't even want a child of her own. But, there's a possibility he would force her to have one if the first one fails— or his other strategies goes wrong.

The book states that the child of a dark magician inherits magical abilities the parent also inherited. The parent would be deemed useless since their magic would pass down to the child, increasing the chance of assassination for both. 

A child's body is defenseless even with the dark sorcery they wield. Since the child couldn't even think or do anything, whoever kills them gets the magic they inherited. The parent couldn't protect them since they don't have powers— both magicians are at their most vulnerable states.

Perhaps this was why Knile's grandmother never had her child. And if you think about it, passing this magic to future generations and making their lives miserable is terrible.

The Hyll family should've killed themselves the moment they realized they were cursed if they value their people— but then again, why sacrifice your lives for people who possibly don't deserve it? Why can't they enjoy life and let their future descendants suffer instead?

And even so, humanity brought the disaster themselves— like Adam and Eve. They're no heroes to sacrifice themselves just for the sake of others.

And even with that selfish decision, why didn't goddess Stella eradicated them?

The sound of the glass slipping from her shuddering hand destroyed the tension and seeing how it shattered brought relief to him.

He didn't give his answer nor said anything, they both understand his unfortunate position. His cold stares haven't left his complexion as he turns around and started flipping through the books.

The villainess watches him as she hugs herself, an effort to bring warmth.

"This agreement, it's not a fraud one with hidden words. I can reassure you that."

'What I said changes how he looks at me. It wasn't me who needs him anyway, it's the other way around.'

' Thanks to his hatred, I manage to turn the tables.'

"Explain the details, all of them."

Silence came between them, his mind debating whether he should do it or not. He gazes at her, then shifted his eyes towards the contract.

"It's a blood contract, it can't be manipulated and the agreement written on it should be followed or else we will undergo suffering. The punishment can also be altered. If you're questioning how I knew it, I'll tell you later but it held no significance.  I don't own it, it was kept in this fortress for 300 years so that means it is immortal and cannot be destroyed."

He handed her the paper. A magic circle was printed on the top of the page which was also accompanied by letters continuously flying around it. Just by looking at it, she identified it wasn't fake.

"Let's try it then."

She grabbed a pen from his desk and started writing the agreement supported by the punishment.

A smile adorns her face as she acknowledges and feels the slight changes coming from him.

'It's boring to know that his confidence to frighten me will soon falter because of this contract. The thought of me dying also haunts him, how sweet.'

'So, I did what I thought would entertain me the most.'

She finished writing and the letters on the paper stop flying and disappeared. The black magic circle glistened and turned to white. Her thumb touches her neck and smeared blood on the magic circle before giving it to him.

He nibbles his thumb and allowed blood to ooze on the paper.

'It's amusing how we needed a contract to establish trust. Are the villains this vulnerable they easily distrust each other?'

The answer will be yes but keep in mind they are both capable of doing unexpected things. They are both afraid of each other after all. His eyes with bags underneath scanned the paper and he quickly looks at her. The reaction was quite expected considering how the contract benefited the villainess the most.

"Yes dear, a lie wouldn't hurt you but will kill me. A similar thing occurs to me— if I tell a lie, you die. Let's not kill each other because of some distrust yes? If you're also wondering— once I lost my life in this world, the dark magic you very desire will also follow. I'm not suicidal but I'm fine with dying anytime. I won't drag you down the grave though. There's no point in doing that. I'd rather kill myself and see you suffer from your hatred that will never be resolved."

A nasty glare beautified his cold composure and she returns it with a goofy smile.

"Admit it, it's a win-win situation." She remarked.

"This event is something I expected but never created a plan to counter it..." He muttered and the villainess rolls her eyes and crosses arms.

"So do I but why? I was willing to cooperate with you..."

Her mind was crammed with questions but she couldn't manage to say it. The question depended on how he perceived it. His words themselves can answer anything.

"I don't want to work with anyone but myself. It's preferable that way."

Hearing his reason quickly made her remember her past self saying the same thing and she felt guilty of also doing that. The fact that her brain remembered, help her understand him somehow.

"What? Afraid of being disappointed? Do you think the woman who spread chaos will disappoint you?"

"Yes,"

'Ouch, but emotions aside that's understandable.'

"And since I can't lie, it's because your magic was once fated to be mine. I can't help my longing to kill you and receive it back."

'Is it just me or does every villain manage to lose something? Like I stole his supposed magic... Knile's magic started from a curse mix with a blessing. How did Knile even stole it?'

"If you don't mind, how did you lose it?"

He glances at her and smiled. The ability to identify whether his smile was sincere or empty was lost, and the aura he's emitting was pure darkness. The villainess was unable to decipher whether that's hatred or something else.

Due to her over-analyze, she started doubting herself and miss the big picture. She swore to herself to start recognizing which information was needed and delete unnecessary things.

The eyes are windows to the soul— that's what people say. Following that statement, she doesn't think this guy even has a soul. There's no emotion revealed. His body language doesn't even give any clues— he is rather self-aware or doesn't care much about revealing his feelings.

"Fine, I'll answer it. Your eyes are calculating too much, I think it's time to stop."

"Not the answer I anticipated." She sighs.

"Indeed, I hope your pursue of my perspective does not negatively impact you."

"It won't." 

"I see, I'm glad you aren't the original Knile."

..........
I can't help but update a bit...