37: Additional Despair By Fate

'This is something I need to do.'

The orange-haired girl assumed as she inhaled deeply while looking straight at the mansion behind the gate.

'I need to convince her.'

The gates were now opened by a servant as she was welcomed to the duchy of Leyn.

'I've done this before so I know I will do well."

She gracefully entered the mansion as her sunset eyes glint. She was determined to bring an end to the current chaos. It was her job as the crown princess.

She was by then directed towards her office. The door was once again opened by a servant and there she saw her, Duchess Aira.

"What is it that you need, crown princess?"

She asks in an unwelcome tone. (Holy-)

"I ask for your cooperation in finding the real mastermind."

She responded fiercely.

"Oh~, are you here to defend the church again?"

The duchess smirk as she lowered the teacup and motioned her to sit in front of her. She was somehow entertained by her antics. She was acting quite differently compared to their previous meeting.

"No, I only want to establish connections."

Denying the accusation, Astaria smiled sweetly.

"Go on, I'm interested."

Those words alone spark happiness inside the heroine.

"First, I apologize for how I act last time, that was quite rude of me. And second, sorry for denying your conclusions. My emotions are quite hard to control..." Astaria explained as she looks at the Duchess with determination.

"Oh?"

'What are you trying to achieve?' The duchess thought as her eyes narrowed.

"I came here because I want your assistance. I am relatively unsuccessful when it comes to investigating that's why I want us to work together."

The duchess went silent as she avoided Astaria's pleading eyes.

'She realized she's not that smart? Not all aristocrats admit this. This is quite new and intriguing.'

'Compared to Lady Knile, she will never admit she's weak unless cornered in an argument. The crown princess... She quickly acknowledged that she's weak?'

The silence started suffocating Astaria as she keeps waiting. She recalled how she quarreled with the Duchess so she wasn't entirely sure that she will support her. Astaria also realized how childish she acted during the argument.

The heroine soon frowns as she recalled how she keeps denying the accusation.

'That was embarrassing.' The heroine thought as she keeps her head low. She then clenches the hems of her sleeves.

The duchess notice Astaria's determination withering through her features and smirked.

'I don't have anything to sacrifice anyway...'

"Fine then, you've got yourself a companion, crown princess."

The heroine widens her eyes as she quickly raises her head. She felt herself smile while releasing her sleeves.

Her gloomy aura vanish and was replaced by a colorful and cherry one, affecting the atmosphere of the room.

"Than-"

Before saying her gratitude someone suddenly slammed the door, interrupting her. They both turn their heads and gaze at the door.

"My lady! The emperor is dead!"

Shouted the butler frantically while panicking. The cherry atmosphere vanishes once again as the duchess shout.

"Come again?!"

She cannot believe it. Her once gentle features turned into a stunned one as she abruptly walks towards the butler. The heroine behind her covered her mouth, eyes widen in terror. She was frozen in her seat as tears formed at the corner of her sunset eyes.

"The Emperor was found dead at the neighboring empire!"

.
.
.
.
.

"What?" Ask the villainess, still not noticing that she just drop the teacup she was holding. Celestia immediately acted and wipe the remaining liquid at the table that was dripping on her red velvet dress.

'Why's the emperor dead?'

"After he signs the peace treaty he was found dead the next morning." Clarified the butler.

"Who. Who assassinated him?" She asks with a blank look but inside, she was shaken.

"It is currently being investigated. The Dukes are called at the palace by the empress to discuss things."

'Why now?'

"I see, you may go back and perform your duties."

"Yes, my lady."

The butler then turned and left, leaving the villainess stunned.

"My lady, please take the dress off."

The pleads of her maid weren't heard by Knile as she continues to stare at the ceiling.

'How.....'

She asked herself as she tried to recall stuff.

'I didn't give any problems or motive for the prince to kill the emperor. So why? Why did Neville kill his father?'

Frustrated, she bit the tip of her fingernail.

'Was this his fate? Does the emperor need to die in both worlds? He did live longer in this life than the original one because I acted differently but, he shouldn't be also dead in the first place either.'

'I didn't plan to kill him because I need someone to judge the prince and he is the only one who has that kind of power.'

'I thought the only thing that could trigger his death is me. If I was still the crown princess that he adores then it's fine for the prince to kill him. Seriously, what ignites his death?'

'What?'

'I didn't do anything. I am not the crown princess anymore....'

'Why would the prince kill him?'

'Ha..'

'Could it be my mere existence?'

'No, that isn't even close!'

"Haha, if this continues then I'll immediately win."

'But I don't feel it.'

'I don't feel the happiness of winning...haa..'

...

'Think Knile.'

'Why would the prince kill him?'

'What's the thing the emperor possesses to be killed?..."

"!"

"The throne..."

The villainess mumbled as she stops biting her nail and smirked.

'It's the throne!'

'Now if that was the reason, why would he immediately do that in the middle of crisis?!'

'Shouldn't be the best move if your not that smart is to wait for everything to be solved then kill your father and inherit a peaceful land?'

'What's that stupid prince doing?!'

'Why does it looks like he's helping me spread more despair!?'

.
.

••••||•••••||••••••|•••••|||•••••••••||••||••••••||••••

  \/         \/
         —