Norway, 977 A.D

"Do not do this!" Esther begged.

"You wanted a family, fate said otherwise and so you came to me. And for a price, I granted your wish. Now I must collect," Dahlia stated as she held Freya by the elbow, Finn tucked closely to his mother's side.

"When Mikael returns from his journey I swear -"

"You will tell him that Freya grew ill and died!" Dahlia interrupted her sister.

"No Dahlia," Esther begged, tears in her eyes.

"You were forced to burn her body to stop the spread of plague," Dahlia continued.

"Sister, please! I cannot give up my child!" Esther cried.

"You've already offered me more than just this one child," Dahlia reminded her, annoyed as both her hands settled on Freya's shoulders. "Our bargain was for this firstborn and for every firstborn of each generation that is to come! For as long as your line shall last."

"If you do this," Esther began as she took small steps towards her sister. "If you take my daughter, I swear to you, I will return to the Black Arts. I will grow in power as a witch and I will MAKE YOU PAY!"

"Your power is NOTHING against mine!" Dahlia spat back. "Foolish girl. You knew the bargain you made. And should you defy me," Dahlia took a threatening step towards her sister who stepped back, "I will take all your children. Including little Finn and even unborn Elijah!"

Finn began to cry as Esther held him close. "No Dahlia," Esther whispered as her sister picked up Freya and began to walk off, the little girl calling for her mother. "No. No Dahlia. FREYA! PLEASE!" screamed as Freya cried for her mother, who didn't move. 

A mother who let her child be taken.