Chapter 47

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't tear you apart for trying to use my daughter as a sacrificial offering?!" Isa growled, barely able to hold herself together as she faced Genevieve. The witch was trussed up, chained to the walls inside one of the crypts, the very crypt Isa had been kept in when she was kidnapped by Jane-Anne. Isa's hand was shaking as she held the silver blade that they were going to use to kill her baby. Every part of her was screaming at her to leave the witch and seek out her daughter but she knew that she was safe with Nik and Marcel. She knew that right now she was needed here to eliminate a threat to her daughter.

"I had to. It was the ancestors' decree. It was her decree," Genevieve tried to reason and Elijah simply grabbed her throat as Katherine finished chaining her up.

"It was whose decree?" he asked lowly.

"I'm surprised you have to ask," Genevieve laughed as Katherine opened a bag full of weapons. She and Marcel had gone to a secret place that was owned by Father Kieran. In this room were records of all the people in New Orleans, dating back centuries, as well as a cacophony of cursed weapons, much like the throwing star Marcel had used to save their baby. "You were the one that convinced your siblings to consecrate her on New Orleans soil," the witch finished, and Isa's blood boiled.

"So not even death can stop my mother from seeking the annihilation of her own flesh and blood," Elijah muttered as he threw Genevieve's head back and out of his grip.

"This isn't the end. So long as your baby lives, New Orleans witches will come after it. Esther will come after it. She will be consecrated with her ancestors. She will not live. It has been decreed," Genevieve went on. It was then that she began to cry blood. "They're coming for me. I failed them. You have to know. I just wanted to live," she sobbed before she looked at Isa. "I'm sorry."
Isa merely hefted the knife, spinning the ornate silver blade in her hand as she neared Genevieve. 

"I. Don't. Care," she said emotionlessly into the witch's ear, Elijah and Katherine standing diligently behind her should they be needed. "Not only did you come after my baby, not only did you try and kill me, but you tried to steal my husband from me?!" she raged at the witch who looked shocked. She didn't think Isa was aware of that. "Yes, I knew. And you know what else I know?" she asked as she pulled on Genevieve's ring finger on her left hand, her face covered in sweat. "That my husband, or any other man, will never put a ring on this finger." And Genevieve shrieked till her throat was raw as Isa cut the finger from her hand. "Shh, shh, shh," Isa hushed as she held the girl's throat. "Or do I have to cut out your tongue too?" Genevieve shook her head furiously as she bit her tongue, trying to quiet her screams. "Good. Now, I'd hold my breath if I were you, you might live a little longer," the Original explained cryptically before she jabbed the blood-stained blade into Genevieve's lung, and the organ began to fill with blood. Genevieve couldn't take her advice though as she gasped for air the second the knife punctured her skin, much less her lung as she began to choke on her own blood.

Isa went home as the witch drowned. She didn't care if Elijah and Katherine cleaned up her mess or not, Genevieve could rot for all she cared. All she did care about right now, was seeing her daughter.

*****************************************************************

If this was a dream then Isa didn't ever want to wake up as she rushed into the nursery back at the compound to see her husband sitting in a rocking chair as he smiled at a bundle of blankets in his arms. When Nik looked up to see his wife, his eyes grew misty as he watched her walk so slowly into the room, not wanting this hallucination to fade.

Isa fell to her knees in front of the rocking chair as Nik slowly leaned forward and passed the baby to her mother. And for the first time in perhaps the last two days, Isa's tears were happy as she held her baby, gently rocking her daughter back and forth.