Chapter 29

Isa was in a great mood. Between the sinfully good time she and Nik had last night and the fact that they were on their way to intimidate and threaten Stefan with the possibility of torturing him, why wouldn't she be in a good mood?

They rushed up to him, alone in the woods, Nik holding his arms behind his back and Isa with a hand to his throat, nails digging in. She'd painted them blood red for this occasion. "In what world do the words, 'tell no one,' mean tell your brother and every teenage sycophant in town?!" she snarled at him as he fought their grip, a very, very futile effort.

"The secret's safe. No one who knows about the cure will endanger us. Trust me, you know that I want to find it more than anyone else," he grunted through her grip.

"You've lied to me far too many times for me to trust you, Pet," she fired back.

"But you can always make yourself useful by finding some more vampires for Jeremy to kill before my lovely Isa and I are tempted to offer you up as a victim," Klaus growled in his ear.

They let him go, the boy grunting as his chest heaved.

"And try and keep this one to yourself, or I will freeze you from the inside. And ask your brother, it's not a pleasant way to die," Isa threatened. "Unlike this," she continued before she snapped his neck, letting his body fall to the floor. "And there's a lot more where that came from."

Nik grinned at his wife before he placed his hand on her back. "Save that energy for later, love."

*****************************************************************

Isa was in a royal blue, halter-neck dress, with gold heels as she walked into the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant on Nik's arm. Nik who was in a simple suit with a blue tie to match her dress, a very Elijah look, minus the tie, if Isa was being honest.

They had stopped near Caroline who was staring at Tyler, walking in with Hayley on his arm. The wolf was in a very tacky orange dress and black heels. The dress was short and strappy, with a bit of a low neckline.

"What was that modern term again?" she asked Nik before answering her own question. "Oh right, what a slut." Nik laughed at her and she knew that Caroline had heard her too. "No, but I'm not just being mean. Who wears such a low-cut, short dress like that? And in orange too?! How tacky," she said, and Nik handed her champagne from a passing waiter's tray.

"Pace yourself, love, the day has only just begun," he suggested as they moved over to where Hayley had put on the Miss Mystic crown and was mocking all the pageant girls.

"You don't want to do that. These girls will cut you. They have nails," Tyler warned as Hayley bit her lip as he spoke.

"I have claws," she said lowly.

"Only on a full moon," Isa's voice interrupted and Hayley put down the crown as they faced each other. You could feel the tension between the two, it was merely a matter of who would pounce first.

A matter that wasn't addressed as Caroline's voice echoed through the outdoor speakers and Nik pulled Isa away, nearing the dance floor. "Hi everyone. I'm Caroline Forbes. And as the reigning Miss Mystic Falls, it is my honour to introduce this year's Miss Mystic Court!"
People cheered as the girls walked down the stairs to their escorts and then onto the platformed stage.

"Rebekah would've loved this," Isa sighed, a wave of nostalgia hitting her out of nowhere.
Nik kissed her temple. "You can call her if you miss her," he said.

"She'll be back soon. And she'll be so annoyed that she missed this drama," Isa grinned as she watched a girl in a red dress run off as she reached the bottom of the stairs, only to have no escort. And she watched as no one bothered to go after the girl as they began with the dance. And as they glided across the dancefloor, Isa was struck by a memory. "Does this remind you of -"