Chapter 54

"I see your interrogation went well," Katherine remarked as she stormed into the study to see Nik wiping blood from Isa's face with a damp towel.

"Witches are such delicate creatures," she said as Nik gently continued his work while she leaned against a table that was scattered with extra tools. "Good news for me then. As I suspected, Esther holds Elijah captive."

"Great. Let's go get him."

"Esther is too powerful. She won't easily be found. We need to draw her out," Nik said before he went to slide closed the doors between them and Katherine.

"What are you doing?" Katherine asked as she stopped him.

"Well, my wife's going to change her outfit while I get the last of the blood off her, and then we are going to go and find my brother," he answered as he went to slide them closed again only to be stopped again.

"Let me come with you," Katherine pleaded.

"Katerina the last thing Elijah and I want, is for you to get hurt. And my mother is wretched, many times worse than my father, and I can't save Elijah if I'm busy saving you, now can I?"

"You're letting Isa go," Katherine persisted as she pointed at the vampire who'd stripped off her t-shirt and was beginning to wipe off the blood on her body as she stared into a mirror.

"I'm barely letting Isa go. If I had it my way, she'd be locked up in here all day along with you."

"But you don't have it your way and I am your wife, whom you can't say no to, therefore, I get to come," Isa smirked at her husband as she rubbed the cloth along her collarbone.

"And she is an Original, with some sort of witch magic, which is another problem on our list," Nik said pointedly over his shoulder, Isa waving him off.

"Not a very high problem because we have more important things to worry about," Isa sang as Nik rolled his eyes at his wife.

"Still, it's a problem we'll get to eventually."

Isa now rolled her eyes at her husband as she turned to speak to Katherine. "Kat, if you need something to do, can I ask for a favour?"

"Anything, seeing as I'm now forbidden from helping save my boyfriend, I could do with a good distraction. Is it bloody? It better be bloody."

Isa scoffed. "Please who do you take me for? Of course, it's bloody, depending on which way you want to go. Aiden sent word that Christian is to be executed tonight as punishment for letting all the werewolf kids get away. Marcellus is down to help if you're up for a rescue mission?"

Katherine was hesitant but less so after Isa said, "If you get to Christian, he might know where Elijah is."

"Guess I'm going on a rescue mission," she said and Isa laughed at her friend.

"If you need a hand trying to take down the wolves, ask Nadia to take you to Julian. The wolves may answer to the witches but he's still their alpha."

"Got it! Thanks!" Katherine said as she walked out, and Nik was finally able to slide the doors shut and turn to his semi-dressed wife with a wicked grin on his face.

*****************************************************************

After a quick shower and outfit change, Nik and Isa had come up with a way to lure their mother out of hiding. By desecrating her corpse.

They had journeyed to the burned-down plantation house and dug up Esther's coffin, threatening to light it if Esther didn't return Elijah. After some irritating illusions, Esther appeared, trying to sell her offer once more. And when that didn't work, she promised to repeat the process Elijah was going through on Nik, to make him into the man he was supposed to be.
Isa had grown angry at that. The man he was supposed to be was a father, but Esther had destroyed all chance of that happening.