Chapter 72

Marcel knew that Rebekah had assigned these tasks based on who was best suited for them but how in god's name was he supposed to stop a mystical dagger of dark magic from melting so his mother could stay desiccated and the evil witch that wanted to kill them all would remain unconscious?

Freya was currently kneeling next to Isa as she chanted but nothing seemed to be working as the silver blade continued to melt. Marcel was pacing nervously as he hung his head before the crackling of branches drew both his and Freya's attention to the stair railing. A green vine had begun to twine its way around the bannister as dahlias sprouted from them.

"There's got to be a way to kill her," Marcel said as they watched the vine begin to snake its' way through the compound.

"There is," Freya said as she pulled out the white oak stake. Marcel hadn't seen her use magic to find it whilst he tended to his mother and now he was kicking himself for it.

"No! Freya!" Marcel protested but she simply raised her hand as she held him against the wall under the stairs. And Marcel could do nothing but watch as Freya knelt over his mother's body. "Freya, we can find another way!" Marcel pleaded as he tried to fight against her magic, tears in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, but I see no other way," she said distressed, her eyes mirroring Marcel's watery ones.

"NO! NO! That's my mother! Hope's mother! Your sister!" Marcel yelled as the dagger became nothing but a pool of melted silver on Isa's chest.

"I don't want to kill her!" Freya cried as the hand that gripped the stake trembled. "This is the family I've longed for, but because of her," she yelled out, turning to scowl at Dahlia. "I'll forever be alone," Freya cried as she raised the stake, ignoring Marcel's desperate screams of protest, only to have Isa catch her hand.

Freya's eyes widened as she shook, dropping Marcel from the wall in her moment of distraction.

"Sister," Isa whispered as she covered Freya's hand holding the white oak stake with her own. After being in Dahlia's head and seeing how Freya grew up, Isa understood. She understood her motives and her action, and she didn't blame her at all for it.

But their moment was interrupted as Dahlia shot up bolt right, inhaling a great breath before she turned on the two girls, the two girls that had betrayed her. And Isa matched her murderous glare because no matter how weak she was right now, she wasn't going down without a fight.

*****************************************************************

Isa leaned on Freya as she helped her stand, the white oak stake still clutched in the blonde's hand as Marcel moved over to them. The three of them stood before Dahlia as the ancient witch said, "I'm impressed at the lengths you'd go to for your little girl, though not enough to let bygones be." And the white oak stake flew into her hand.

"We are still linked, dear aunt," Isa began as she pushed off Freya, limping a few steps before standing tall in front of Dahlia. "You may not want to punish me with that particular weapon."

"Hmm," Dahlia hummed as she gave a thoughtful look before saying, "I made sure that the link between us melted along with that dagger. Meaning..." She pointed the stake at Isa. "I'm quite free to kill you."

Dahlia began to drag Isa forward with her magic, but before Isa could retaliate with magic of her own, Marcel tackled her out of the way, both of them crashing to the floor.

Dahlia then took that opportunity to vanish into thin air before a baby's cry sounded through the air. And as her son helped her up, Isa both vamp ran and ran normally towards Hope's nursery which was covered in dahlias. "Shh. I've got you. Mummy's here. I've got you, baby girl," she promised as she picked up her daughter, but they were already too late as Marcel rushed over to Katherine's dead body. Her neck was broken, having been wrapped with vines before the bones were snapped.