Chapter 39

The Mikaelsons, Marcel, and Katherine all slept till around noon after the events of the previous day. Marcel had organised a lunch with some of his inner circle of vampires, to explain the full extent of what had been happening. If he expected them to protect Isa, he owed them an explanation, trust worked both ways with him.

So today Isa dressed in a fitted, but not tight, black silk dress that fell just above her knees, the sleeves stopping 3/4 of the way down her arm as her open hair bounced behind her. Much to her chagrin, her feet were in flats as she held a tight grip on Nik's arm as they descended the stairs of the second level of the compound to the long banquet table that had already been set up and decorated with food. She was struggling a little to stay awake but when the smell of food hit her nostrils, beignets and Rousseau's famous gumbo, her eyes opened a little wider. Everyone was already seated and eating, Nik and Isa being the last to arrive, and the vampire's eyes widened at the sight of her stomach. Four of them sat opposite Elijah, Katherine, and Rebekah, the latter of which was seated on Marcel's right.

Two chairs were available, one opposite Marcel at the head of the table and one to the left of that chair.

And the legendary Niklaus Mikaelson surprised the young vampires when he sat his wife at the head of the table and took the seat to her left, Isa instantly piling her plate with beignets as Nik handed her a bowl of gumbo.

"As you all can tell, my family has moved back into the compound," Marcel began from his chair. "The reason for this, is for my Mother's safety," he said, and all eyes landed on Isa who was scarfing down beignets, earning smiles from her family. "Isa Mikaelson is pregnant," Marcel announced as he leaned back in his chair.

"How is that possible? She's a vampire and Original. Vampires can't procreate," asked a dark-skinned man Isa identified as Diego.

"Well, Diego, when my mother cast the spell that turned us into vampires, she managed to preserve my sister's ability to bear children," Elijah began. "But when it was discovered of Niklaus's true origin, my parents found that they simply could not let his bloodline continue. So, when my mother bound his werewolf side and placed that curse within a moonstone, she also bound Isa's ability to bear children."

"And when you broke the curse on you, you also broke the curse on your wife," deduced a pale man in an old-fashioned hat, Thierry, Marcel called him.

"Well done, Thierry," Nik praised as he smiled.

"Regardless of how it happened, Isa is pregnant. And the reason they moved in here was at my invitation, they need our protection," Marcel announced.

"Why should we help them? Who knows what kind of monstrosity she's cooking up in her womb," asked a woman with fiery red hair who sat in between Diego and an unnamed vampire that Isa didn't know.

"Felicity," Marcel warned.

Isa sat up straight as she stared daggers at the woman, Nik's grip on his fork unbearably tight. "That 'monstrosity' is an innocent child. My innocent child. Insult my child again and I will make you eat your words, regardless of who you are to my son," she threatened as the veins under her eyes became bloody and Felicity shrunk back a little in her chair.

"Whatever your opinions of the Mikaelsons, Isa is my mother and so long as my mother is with child, she is under our protection. Tell only who you need to, but from here on out, if I find out that anyone contributed to the harm of my mother or her child in any way, I will let the Mikaelsons have their way with the offending party," Marcel ordered, the four vampires nodding at their sire. "Good. You four are dismissed."

They left, much to Isa's relief as she began to eat her gumbo, but she stopped before she could take the first bite. "Thank you, Marcellus," she said, and they all looked up from their plates to her. "For opening your home to us. For protecting me."