Chapter 28

"How in the hell did Connor escape?" Stefan asked through the phone.

"I blame mind-numbing incompetence and idiocy," Nik answered as he navigated his way through the dig site and the excavation workers he'd compelled that his wife was currently ordering around. "But pointing fingers isn't going to help me. You're going to help me," he said.

"Well, he could be anywhere by now."

"Think Stefan. He took the hybrid's head which means that he wants werewolf toxin."

"Which means he plans to stay in Mystic Falls and kill vampires," Stefan finished.

"Which is a pity. Seeing as I'm half the world digging up a dead hunter, you'll have no access to my blood and therefore the antidote. Nevertheless, his tattoo is our only map to the cure, so your task is simple. Find him, catch him and above all keep him alive. He's no good to us dead," Nik explained as if he were talking to a child, but Isa could see his eyes drop at the talk of the dead hunter. Bad memories.

"Damon's been looking for him. If they cross paths -"

"You need to keep Damon in check," he interrupted.

"It'd be easier if I could tell him the truth."

Where Nik could've threatened Stefan, he had a much more fun card up his sleeve to play. "You'd trust Damon with the cure? I imagine he prefers Elena the way she is."

"Nice try, Klaus. But I trust Damon, a hell of a lot more than I trust you," Stefan countered and Klaus grew annoyed.

"And I trust no one but my sister and my wife and last I checked you were neither. So, either keep Damon in the dark and in check, or I'll let Rebekah have another go at Elena and I will throw that sword into the Mediterranean and we can end this quest right now. Am I understood?"Stefan hung up which Nik took as a yes as Isa came over to him and he buried his face in her neck, inhaling her scent. "I'm starting to miss the days when my father was the bane of my existence," he murmured.

"Hey!" Isa chastised softly as she tapped the back of his head. "How about we kill them nice and good when we go home, huh?" she offered a cheeky smile on her face as her hands hooked around his neck.

"Not yet. I won't have us hunting this alone when we don't know what lies between us and the cure. I need people who are expendable," he explained and Isa frowned but it didn't last long.

"They think they found it on the radar, but it'll take at least the day to excavate down and retrieve it," she informed.

Klaus's smile grew. "Then I guess we have the day to do with as we please."

Her smile grew as well as their noses brushed, lips a hairs-breath apart, his hands on her back pulling her closer. "Oh yeah? What did you have in mind?"

He trailed his nose along her cheek before his lips brushed her ear. "Well, we've already seen the sights, so, how about we enjoy the finest room that luxury can offer?"

Her eyes stayed in the direction of Nik's lips which she could barely see with how close she was to him. "I like the way you think, my love." And their lips met.

*****************************************************************

After making several intimidating phone calls, finding the sword, and coordinating a rescue plan that went to hell, Nik and Isa were pissed as they returned to Mystic Falls. And no amount of angry sex could make up for it, not that they didn't try. First, Rebekah had called, saying she had tracked down Elijah and wanted to go and smack some sense into him for just leaving once they had found Nik's note after he'd been 'killed' by Alaric. Then they returned to Lockwood Manor to drink it dry in frustration only to argue with Tyler and Hayley and be interrupted by Caroline barging in with a box of Tyler's stuff, seeming as if they were breaking up. It had taken Isa all of two seconds to figure out that it was staged and as fake as Elena's innocence, so Klaus, Isa, and his hybrids cleared out, letting them think that they had fooled them. But most irritating of all, Connor was dead. The Hunter's map was gone and so was the cure.