Chapter 34

(A/N: Welcome to New Orleans)

*****************************************************************

It had been a week since Isa had gone missing and now both brothers along with Katerina were in the city of New Orleans. Nik had gotten there first. He was quick to find out that Marcel, the boy Isa and he had raised since he was eight, was still alive and fancied himself King of New Orleans. Isa was a mother to Marcel in everything but blood, so when he heard that Nik was in town to find her because she'd been taken, he was angry, even more so when he found out that Jane-Anne, the person he had just killed, was also the person that had taken her in the first place. He had his vampires on the prowl for Isa as Nik moved into their old plantation house that he hadn't seen nor stepped foot in since the 1910s. Elijah and Katherine however, had been approached by a witch. Jane-Anne's sister, Sophie, who had led them to Lafayette Cemetery and told them quite the interesting story.

"Isa is pregnant."

Both the vampires froze, gazing at each other in confusion before Katherine said, "But, she's a vampire. And not just any vampire but an Original vampire. She can't get pregnant."

"How do you know this?" Elijah asked.

"Marcel controls the French Quarter with an iron grip. Our magic comes from our ancestors, the spirits. And we aren't allowed to use our magic and contact the spirits, but that doesn't mean that the spirits can't contact us," Sophie explained.

"The spirits contacted you and chose to tell you that a vampire was pregnant?" Katherine asked mockingly.

"Joke around all you want, but it's true," Sophie persisted, turning to face Elijah, whose hand was linked with Katherine's. "Isa is pregnant with your brother's child."

"I want to see her," Elijah asked.

"Bring her out," Sophie called behind her.

Isa walked out, dressed in black leggings, flats, a tank top, and a cardigan, her wedding rings still on her finger. Her eyes widened when she saw who stood in front of her. "Elijah!" she yelled as she tried to rush forward but her arms were grabbed by the two witches escorting her.

Elijah and Katherine moved towards her, but Sophie stopped them. "I can't trust that you won't just vanish with her before you hear me out. So, you can touch her, but in here please," she said as she directed Elijah and Katherine into a large mausoleum.

Isa ran into her brother's arms.

"Are you ok? Have they hurt you?!" he asked as they pulled apart, her face cupped in his hands as she rested hers on his forearms.

"I'm scared out of my mind, but I think I'm ok," she replied, and Elijah dropped his arms as she moved to hug Katherine. "Never thought I'd be so happy to see a doppelganger on my brother's arm," she mused as the girls embraced.

"Never thought I'd be so happy to see you. Your husband has been unbearable without you."
Her eyes widened as she pulled back and turned to Elijah. "Nik, is he -"

"He's here in the city and is exceedingly worried for you," Elijah informed and Isa's shoulder seemed to sag in relief slightly at the knowledge that her husband was close.

"Icy, what happened?" Katherine asked.

The girl shook her head. "I don't know. One second, I fell asleep in Nik's arms and the next I woke up here in the cemetery, being poked and prodded by a bunch of witches for days. And then they tell me I'm pr-pregnant," she said in disbelief.

"And you believe them?" Elijah asked, eyebrow raised.

"Maybe. I've had all of a day to wrap my head around it, but, Elijah, do you remember all the weird stuff that was happening to me? Mood swings, dizzy spells, headaches, taking so long for me to heal?" she asked turning to her brother, who nodded. "Elijah, I don't know how I'm pregnant, but if I am, it does explain all the weird stuff that was happening to me."