Chapter 69

Isa gasped as her eyes opened and she regained her bearings. Her back was pressed against a hard stone wall as she sat on the dirt floor, the sun bright as it shone on her face.

"Isa?"

Isa turned to her left to see Nik sitting there slumped against the same stone wall.

"Nik?! Nik?! Are you ok? What happened? Why are we here?" she asked as he simply leaned into his wife, relief flooding him at her touch.

"You are both dead, temporarily, so I have called you here," came a new voice and Dahlia stood in front of them, but strangely, she didn't feel endangered in the witch's presence. Rather, she was more concerned with the bleeding wound on her husband's chest, right above the centre of his heart.

"How did this happen?" she asked as she covered it with her hand, no blood touching her skin. Nik seemed reluctant to answer.

"I believe that was courtesy of the witch Josephine," Dahlia answered for him.

"What are you talking about?" Isa snapped, not forgetting their last encounter.

"Just that your so-called family of werewolves contracted the witch to assist them in their nefarious plans. That wound is the result of a rather special dagger being placed into his heart by the hands of your brother...Elijah, I believe he's called."

"Elijah did this?" she questioned her husband who made no move to confirm nor deny. And though she could tell what his answer was, she needed to hear him say it. "Niklaus, did Elijah dagger you?"

"Yes," he confirmed, and while Isa's eyes darted back and forth as she comprehended the information Nik seemed to remember the words Elijah had said beforehand as he pushed himself to his feet, distracting his wife from her thoughts as she helped him up. "Why are we here? Where is our daughter?!"Nik asked as they faced their aunt. Dahlia just smiled before Nik ran at her, only for her to vanish and reappear leaning against the wall, making Isa flinch as she darted away from the witch.

"Dolor!" she shouted as she raised a hand to the witch but nothing happened as Nik realised where they were, that they weren't in any real world.

"Get out of our heads," he snarled as he pulled his wife away from Dahlia who was laughing at Isa's attempt to harm her.

"I'm not in your head," Dahlia said smugly. "You're in mine. And since you lay daggered in a box by your own beloved brother, you have no choice but to listen to me. Your wife on the other hand has only had her neck snapped by those mutts she dared call friends, she'll come and go. At least until they finally decide to place the Original dagger your brother gave them in her heart," Dahlia explained before pushing off the wall.

"When we wake up, because we will wake up, I'm going to kill Elijah. He's going to rest in the same hole as Tatia," Isa swore as Nik kept a hand on her back.

"Indeed, he will, my love," he agreed.

"I have a proposition for you both. Come along," Dahlia instructed, rather bored of all this talk of vengeance. And her heels clicked on the stone pathway, her long coat trailing behind as Nik and Isa shared a worried glance before linking their hands and following behind the witch. Whatever they would face, they would face together.

*****************************************************************

When Isa was alive, she'd heard stories of the raids and the adventures the Vikings of their village used to embark on. They loved telling drunken tales around a bonfire surrounded by women and mead. Even when she'd married Nik, she expected him to be rather well-versed on the intricacies of what it meant to be a Viking since he was one, but even his tales were nothing compared to watching it happen.