Chapter 35

When Isa and Nik revealed the news that they were indeed expecting and that the witches weren't lying, Elijah and Katherine were ecstatic for the couple. As was Rebekah, who was on her way into the city, despite her reservations about the place, to help her sister prepare for her child. Nik, however, had been a bit of a mess. The witches were obviously up to something, wanting Marcel removed from power rather than killed. And they held Isa's life and the life of her child in their hands, something Nik would never risk. So, to take Marcel down, Nik first needed to gain his trust, something he couldn't do if Marcel didn't trust him because he was unnerved by the number of Original vampires in town.

And in order to help his family, Elijah willingly agreed to let Niklaus dagger him and hand him over to Marcel as a peace offering. He had made a promise to protect Isa and that child no matter the cost, he owed them that, and if being daggered was what that promise called for, he'd do it.

Katherine wasn't too happy about it, so she busied herself helping Isa unpack her things as well as everything else in the plantation house, seeing as Nik refused to let his wife do anything on her own. If Nik was protective before, it was nothing compared to the way he was now. He refused to let Isa do any lifting whatsoever, be it heavy or light. He refused to let her skip meals regardless of her mortality status and made sure she slept for at least eight hours every night. But worst of all, he'd banned her from wearing heels. He'd even gone so far as to abscond with every pair she owned and hide them away.

Today though, was the day when two good things happened. Rebekah finally arrived and Nik was taking Isa to see her son after so many years.

Isa had been heartbroken thinking Marcel had perished at Mikael's hand in the New Orleans fires of 1919. To hear he was alive was shocking, and Isa wasn't too comfortable with the whole coup thing against him, but for now, she couldn't wait to see her son.

Nik had finally told Marcel he'd found Isa held captive by several witches, who'd kept her neck snapped so she wouldn't try to escape. He hadn't bothered to find out what they had wanted before promptly slaughtering them all and retrieving his wife. And after a day of recuperation, she was ready to see Marcel. At least that was the story they fed Marcel. He couldn't find out about her being pregnant, not just yet.

Isa was tucked under Nik's arm as he walked her into the compound, their old compound they designed from scratch, now crawling with Marcel's nightwalkers. And despite Nik's protests, Isa had to be in heels for this or else Marcel would've known something was off.

Her stiletto heels clicked on the concrete, tight leggings, a flowy metallic gold top, and a leather jacket adorned her body, her lips and nails painted blood red. It was the sound of her heels that attracted the attention of the vampires, her hand that was joined with Nik's making eyes widen and it was then that the seas parted.

Marcel hadn't changed. He looked the same as she had last seen him, eyes, smile. His voice was a nostalgic harmony when it graced her ears.

"Well, what do we have here? he asked, smirking, and then his eyes landed on Isa. "Hi, Mom," he said, his smile now small as Isa pulled her hand from Nik's.

"Hello, Marcellus." She embraced her son, relief coursing through her as she wrapped her arms around his neck, one hand cradling his head to her. "My little warrior," she mumbled as they pulled apart, his face in her hands.

"I'm glad you're okay, Mom," Marcel smiled, a smile he reserved solely for Isa, but a smile that faded as he turned and addressed his vampires, their hands still joined.

"This woman, is Isa Mikaelson. And she is my mother, she made me everything I am. So, any harm comes to her and the punishment won't be the Garden," he announced, and grim looks decorated the vampires' faces as they heeded his threat.