The Prince's Farewell

Estella turned and exited the Room of Requirement, facing no opposition from the DA. Hurrying through the corridors, she dodged behind pillars and into doorways until she approached the Headmaster's Office.

"Password?" The stone griffin peered at her, its eyes as solemn as ever.

Estella felt her throat clench. "I am about to die," she whispered.

An almost sad expression passed over the statue's face, but it nodded and exposed the stairway leading to the office.

Climbing quickly, Estella took the stairs two at a time until she reached the door and pushed it open.

Severus Snape stood facing the window, his hair blowing furiously in the breeze. His eyes glimmered in the fading light as he turned, his cloak brushing the stone. "Lestrange."

Estella's eyes began to fill with tears. "Professor."

"There's no time for your blubbering," Snape waved his hand dismissively. "Alecto Carrow already saw you in the castle and I daresay Potter is on his way."

Estella felt a wave of relief. "So they got the horcrux?"

Snape dipped his head as he stood, bracing himself against Dumbledore's desk. "At the rate of anger the Dark Lord is currently growing, I would assume so."

There was a heavy pause as Estella twisted her wand. "What now?" The words fell gently upon the air.

Severus finally looked up and met her gaze. His dark eyes were unreadable. "You fight."

Estella nodded when a sudden rush of anger poured through her. Gasping, she clenched the side of the desk.

Severus darted over to her side, bracing her up. "Resist it, Blackwood," he grunted, grabbing her shoulders. "Don't let it control you."

Estella gritted her teeth, collapsing to her knees. A blinding pain coursed through her head, forcing her eyes shut. As soon as it started, the pressure was gone.

She opened her eyes. "What.." her voice warbled. "Was that?"

Severus stood. "I believe the Dark Lord knows Potter is on his way." He looked at Estella. "Your connection to his power is growing stronger."

Estella frowned. "But," she paused. "I need it to defeat him, don't I?"

Severus snorted. "Have you really learned nothing?"

Estella flinched and it seemed his gaze softened slightly.

"Lestrange, you cannot fight evil with more evil." He shook his head. "That would only lead to Voldemort's power growing stronger over you."

Estella felt a flash of shock at Snape's use of the name.

"I have little time left, Estella," Severus sighed. "It doesn't matter anymore."

Estella's eyes widened. "Professor?" In his silence she felt a wave of panic. "You can't just assume you're going to die," she began to pace. "I won't let.."

"That happen?" Severus raised an eyebrow. "Don't sound like a child. You don't have that much control." He took in Estella's devastated expression as a faint surprise crossed his face. "You're upset."

"Why does this have to happen?" Estella felt hurt and anger began to course through her body. "You could leave, save yourself."

Snape shook his head. "Estella I have played the coward for much too long. Let me have my honor." He paused as a strange gleam covered his gaze. "I want to see Lily again."

Estella felt tears begin to trickle down her face as she swallowed. After a moment, she leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Snape's shoulders. "You're one of the best men I've ever met." She closed her eyes as a sob escaped her lips. "You're like my father."

Snape stiffened as an odd expression crossed his face. Hesitantly, he placed his arms around Estella and patted her shoulder. Drawing back, he turned to face the window again. "Potter will be here soon. Go find him, Estella." He shook his head. "Never forget who you are."

Estella forced herself to turn back towards the stairs and, with a final look at the dark figure, she left the office.