Love and Funerals

What?" Estella's eyes widened as she struggled to keep her voice level.

"Apparently Voldemort has made several horcruxes," Harry repeated in a whisper, looking over her head.

"Several?" Estella gaped. She had heard rumors of horcruxes of course, but not that the Dark Lord had made many.

"Yeah," Harry frowned, looking hesitant. "Dumbledore didn't want me to tell you but I figured you'd know more about them than anyone.

Estella paused, anger flaring in her chest. Dumbledore still didn't trust her after everything she had done. "So he wants you to retrieve a memory from Slughorn about Voldemort asking about horcruxes?"

"Yeah," Harry nodded as they strode through the courtyard. "We need confirmation and maybe it will give us a hint of what he did with them."

Estella bit back a snort. Dumbledore always used people for his gain, but she knew Harry would jump to defend him.

Harry sighed, "And Malfoy is definitely using the Room of Requirement. I've ordered Dobby and Kreacher to tail him."

"Really?" Estella chewed her lip. She was going to have to be more careful. "But they can't follow him in?"

"No," Harry shook his head bitterly, "He's somehow sealed the doors. It's impossible."

"Harry!" Ron ran up to the two, looking outraged. "I have to take my Apparition test with you. They failed me! For leaving a few bloody hairs!"

Hermione followed behind, looking slightly amused. She shook her head. "I know Ronald, it is rather silly."

Estella's mouth dropped open and she exchanged a look with Harry. Her friend never lost the chance to scold Ron. The world was becoming a strange place.

-

"Hullo Pen!"

Estella raised a concerned eyebrow as Harry beamed at her, looking extraordinarily cheerfully. "Who slipped something in your juice?"

"I took some Felix Felicis," the boy shrugged and spun her around. "I feel great."

Estella suppressed a smile as she raised a finger sternly. "And what, Potter, did you do that for?"

"I have a good feeling," Harry shrugged. "About Slughorn's memory." He looked almost somber for a moment before grinning. "Let's go visit Hagrid."

Estella frowned but followed the boy. He needed someone to look after him.

As they rounded the hill near Hagrid's cabin Estella's eyes widened. A huge spider lay dead on the lawn as Hagrid sobbed beside it. Slughorn stood by, watching uncomfortably.

"Aragog!" Harry exclaimed, starting forward.

Estella grimaced as he strode coward and Harry looked back, noticing her hesitant expression.

"Blackwood are you scared of spiders?" the boy grinned mischievously.

Estella gritted her teeth at the hideous creature. "You go up there Potter. I'll be here."

She watched as Harry sprinted up, joining the two men. They then held what looked to be a funeral service and Estella snorted as Slughorn appeared to collect the Acromantula's venom when Hagrid's back was turned.

She gingerly made her way up the hill, keeping a safe distance from the beast.

Harry through an arm around her waist as she walked up next to him. "She's afraid of spiders."

"You Penny?" Hagrid looked surprised. "After what yeh grew up with.." he stopped abruptly turning red. "'Scuse me, I just er meant.."

"It's fine," Estella smiles uncomfortably. "I know."

There was a moment of awkward silence before Slughorn shook his head. "Well let's not just stand here! A pint at your place Rubeus?"

Hagrid nodded happily and the two set off, singing a funeral march.

"They've already had a few drinks," Harry noted, raising an eyebrow as Estella chuckled. He turned toward the hut. "You coming Penny?"

Estella shook her head, smiling slightly. "This is your mission Potter. I'll wait." She watched as the boy turned and skipped off into the dimming light.
She sat down on the grass and closed her eyes, letting the worry of the past months wash over her.

Sighing, Estella reached into her pocket and took out a flask. Raising the tip of her wand to her forehead, she extracted the memory of torturing that man from her mind. She couldn't bear the guilt anymore. Tapping, she released the memory into the bottle before sealing it shut. She didn't expect to survive the oncoming war and hoped someone would find the truth behind her choices.

"Penny!"

Estella quickly stashed the bottle in her robes and stood as Harry approached, eyes alight.

"I got it!" he exclaimed triumphantly, waving a small bottle in the air.

Estella grinned. "I had no doubt. Now hurry and go see Dumbledore."

Harry nodded and turned. Suddenly he whipped back around and pulled Estella into him, placing a firm kiss on her lips. "I love you."

Estella's heart stopped. She raised her eyes to meet Harry's. His green orbs glittered with warmth and she swallowed. She couldn't do this. She forced a weak laugh. "Next time ease up on the Felix Potter." She stepped away, heart racing. "I've got to go, good luck with Dumbledore."

She turned and walked quickly away, feeling horrible. She could sense Harry's rejected gaze boring into her back. As soon as she was out of sight, she ducked into a corridor and the tears she had held back streamed down her face. She was certainly in love with Harry Potter. But she could never say it back.