Chapter 1

"Are you sure we have to go?" said the voice from the other end of the telephone.

"Jae, I haven't been there in a week. I want to see Jin," Y/N said to her boyfriend, Jaehyun, the guy currently whining into the telephone.

"Can't you go tomorrow?" Jaehyun asked.

Y/N sighed. "No. Jin is taking the next three days off to go visit his parents. I want to see him before he leaves," she replied.

"Fine," Jaehyun huffed. "We'll go for a few minutes but I'm not spending all day at that damn clinic."

Y/N tried to keep her irritation out of her voice. Jaehyun knew how important the hybrids were and how much they meant to her. He didn't really care for them, but didn't say much to Y/N about them. "If you don't want to go, then I can meet you later," she said, trying to compromise with him.

"No. I took today off to spend time with my girlfriend. We'll run by the clinic for a few minutes, then spend the day together," he said, the annoyance clear in his voice.

"Okay. Let me go get ready and I'll see you in an hour," Y/N replied.

Y/N disconnected the call then headed into her bathroom to take a shower. After turning off the water, she wrapped herself in a fluffy blue towel then headed into her bedroom to dress. She laid her jeans and sweater on top of her dark grey comforter then dropped the towel to the floor. She pulled on red panties and a matching bra then dressed in the rest of her clothes. She picked up the towel and placed it in the hamper in the corner of her room then headed into the bathroom.

She ran a comb through her shoulder length dark hair then applied a little bit of gel to bring out her natural curls. She added a little bit of makeup and gave herself a once-over in the mirror. Happy with the results, she shut the lights off and went into the living room to wait for Jaehyun to arrive.

Y/N sat down on the couch and opened up the textbook in front of her, reading the required pages. She was a student at the local college and was majoring in education. She wanted to teach elementary school and was 8 months away from receiving her teaching degree. After the fall semester was over, she would begin student teaching in January. She would graduate in June and she couldn't have been happier.

At the sound of the doorbell, Y/N stood up, grabbed her purse, and went to the door. She opened it to Jaehyun and he stepped inside.

"Hey babe," he said, a smile on his face. He leaned down and kissed her cheek. He knew she was irritated with him over the conversation about the clinic and didn't want to start their day together off on a bad note.

Y/N returned the kiss. "Hey, let me just put my shoes on and we can go," she replied.

Jaehyun leaned against the wall and watched his pretty girlfriend slip on black low top Converse. He smiled at the dark hair that fell into her face and her automatic reaction to brush it away. They were high school sweethearts and had been together since they were 16. Five and a half years later and they were still going strong. The only real arguments they had were over hybrids.

Y/N had grown up with Misha, a fox hybrid that lived next door to her. They were the best of friends but Misha had been killed in a car accident the year they all turned 19. Y/N was devastated over the lost of her best friend. Jaehyun tried to understand but just didn't get it. To him, hybrids were not worth the sorrow and grieving. When he had suggested "getting over" Misha's death, Y/N had lashed out at him and they hadn't spoken for almost 3 weeks. Jaehyun had to suck it up and apologize. That night, Y/N had given him her virginity after he proved he was sorry. He hadn't said another thing about it since. Occasionally he would pout when Y/N would go to the clinic instead of spending time with him, but he knew better than to say anything to her about it. If he planned on keeping Y/N in his life, he had to deal with the hybrids as well.

Y/N finished putting on her shoes then picked up her purse. She followed Jaehyun out the door and climbed into the front seat of his Porsche. The car was a gift from his parents for his 21st birthday and he babied the car like some people would a child. Y/N wasn't a car person so she didn't understand the fascination and the excitement. Sure it was nice, but other than that, she didn't really care about the car.

Jaehyun put some music on then reached over and took her hand. Y/N hesitated then intertwined her fingers with his. She knew he was trying to make up for the asshole way he reacted about going to the clinic. She didn't want to fight with him, but she didn't like the way he acted when she mentioned the hybrids. They were important to her and he didn't understand it.

When they arrived at the clinic, Jaehyun followed Y/N into the clinic. Seokjin, the head of the clinic and the main veterinarian, greeted Y/N with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey sweetheart," he said with a smile. "How are you? I've missed you."

Y/N smiled at his sweet greeting. "I'm good Jin. How have you been? What time are you leaving tomorrow? Are you excited to see your parents?"

Jin laughed at her quick questions. "I'm doing well. Leaving at 6:30 in the morning. Yes. They are excited to meet Tae," he replied.

At the sound of his name, Taehyung, the receptionist and Jin's Siberian husky hybrid came bounding out of the backroom. He barreled into Y/N, almost knocking her off her feet before sweeping her to into a huge hug. "Y/N!" he yelled. "I'm so happy to see you."

Y/N hugged the excitable dog. "I've missed you too Tae," she said before reaching up to stroke his silky ears.

Taehyung closed his eyes, leaning into her touch. "You don't come see me enough anymore," he said, with a pout on his face.

Jaehyun stood behind Y/N, watching the whole scene with a look of irritation on his face. He wanted to pull his girlfriend from the arms of the half-breed, but he knew it would start an argument if he did.

Taehyung caught the look on the man's face and sent him a glare before releasing Y/N. He knew the man didn't like hybrids. He never made it a secret.

Y/N turned to Jin. "How is everyone? Did you get anyone new in lately?" she asked excitedly. Y/N knew all the hybrids in the clinic and had become quiteclose with all of them.

Jin tensed at the question. "We got a new feline hybrid a few days ago. He's a stray. He won't let anyone get near him and he refuses to eat."

Y/N's eyes filled with worry at the news. "Aww poor kitty. He must have been really mistreated. Can I see him?"

Jaehyun pulled on her hand. "Y/N no! What if he's vicious? You don't want to get hurt."

Y/N stroked Jaehyun's cheek. "It's okay. I just want to see him. Since I don't work here, maybe he will respond to me since I'm not a threat."

Jaehyun rolled his eyes, but nodded. "Just be careful. You don't know what that things is capable of." Y/N bristled at his words, but said nothing.

Jin watched the interaction between the two. "Jaehyun may be right Y/N. What if he attacks you?"

Y/N brushed off the concern. "I'm not worried. Let me at least try."