Chapter 19

A/N: DOUBLE UPDATE! Please read Chapter 18 first.

After Y/N and Taehyung arrived back at the house that evening, Y/N pulled out some steaks she had marinated in the fridge that morning. "How's this sound for dinner tonight Tae?" she asked, holding up the meat.

Taehyung looked up from where he had made himself comfortable on the sofa, scanning the movies on Netflix. "Sounds yummy to me, but you know I love anything you cook," he replied with a smile.

Y/N returned the grin and stepped back into the kitchen, her heart a little lighter than it was earlier. This was the best way she could think to spend the evening: enjoying a simple meal with one of her favorite hybrids and friends. Y/N was still smiling when she felt the buzzing of her phone in her pocket. She pulled her phone out and her smile dropped at the contact name. She was usually happy to talk to her boyfriend, but after what he had said, she didn't feel in the mood to speak to him tonight. She would probably end up saying something she might regret later.

Y/N put the steaks on the grill and was standing there on her small balcony, a pair of tongs in her hand when the phone buzzed again. Y/N sighed and pulled the phone out, seeing it was a text from Jaehyun that said "dinner tonight?" She responded, letting him know she was already making dinner and she would call him tomorrow. She stuck the phone back in her pocket, trying to take her mind of Jaehyun, at least for now. Right now, she wasn't in the mood to deal with him or the discussion she knew was coming.

Taehyung peeked out onto the balcony and noticed how quiet the girl had been since they returned to her house. Worried about his friend, he stepped out on the balcony and wrapped his arms around her from behind, snuggling into her neck. "What's the matter, Y/N?" he asked softly, his voice filled with concern.

Y/N turned and hugged the sweet pup, reaching up and stroking a silky ear, eliciting a tiny happy sound from Taehyung. "I'm okay Tae," Y/N replied, not wanting him to worry about her. She didn't want to tell him about the conversation she had overheard. She had a feeling the sensitive pup felt bad enough about the whole situation as it is. "Just have some things on my mind."

Taehyung tilted his head, ears perked up. "Is there anything I can do to help?" he asked. "Would... would it be better if I stayed at the clinic tonight?" Taehyung really didn't want to leave, but he didn't want to interfere in her life too much.

Y/N looked at him in horror. "Why would I want you to stay at the clinic my sweet pup? You being here with me makes me so happy," she exclaimed. Y/N knew his question had something to do with Jaehyun and at the moment she hated her boyfriend for the way he made her friend feel. Jin and Y/N had worked so hard to bring Taehyung around after he was brought into the clinic. He was paranoid around women, especially women older than him. It had taken time, but eventually Taehyung grew to trust Y/N. As time went on, the two became close and it hurt to think there was someone who was attempting to come between them. The thought of Taehyung wanting to potentially pull away from her hurt a lot more than she expected it to. She cared deeply for the hybrids and would do just about anything to see them safe, healthy, and most of all, happy.

Taehyung shrugged at her question, not wanting to tell her the truth about the incident with Jaehyun the night before. "Is there anything I can do to make you smile?" he asked. He was willing to do just about anything to make Y/N smile.

Y/N pinched his cheek then stroked his ear again. "How about after dinner we can cuddle on the sofa?" Y/N suggested. "That always makes me smile." She knew the sweet pup would be good with that plan. Cuddles on the sofa were his favorite activity with her and would usually jump at the chance to snuggle.

"Ear scratches too?" Taehyung asked, a hopeful look on his face, his hands folded below his chin like a child asking for extra dessert.

Y/N giggled at his adorable reaction. "Duh. Ear scratches are always a given," Y/N said then thought for a moment. "Maybe you can help me too." She had made the decision on what to get Yoongi to help him feel a little more welcome, but she wasn't sure what model to get.

"Help with what?" Taehyung wondered out loud, tilting his head in confusion.

"Well I'm getting Yoongi a present. Would you help me pick one out?" Y/N suggested. She had hoped having Taehyung help her choose would show her sweet friend that she cared for him, despite the words Jaehyun had spouted off.

Taehyung internally cheered on the inside. Over the last several weeks, Taehyung had watched the skittish cat's reactions around Y/N. How his ears would perk up when she would enter the room or whenever anyone said her name, how his cheeks would turn pink when she would call him her kitty, the sad look in his eyes when she would have to leave. Taehyung recognized the behaviors. They were the same ones Taehyung himself had exhibited shortly after Jin adopted him. Taehyung knew not every situation was like his, but he was hopeful for his new friend since the relationships between hybrids and human were not as frowned upon as before.

After dinner, Y/N pulled out her laptop and explained her idea to Taehyung. His eyes lit up at her suggestion and he eagerly nodded. He had seen the magazines Jimin had brought in for Yoongi and knew the cat had an interest in music. They scrolled through the website looking at different ones, comparing the options and the various models. As Y/N was scrolling, Taehyung stopped her and pointed to one. "This one!" he cried out, his voice filled with excitement.

Y/N opened up the description and knew right away that Taehyung was right. It was exactly what she had been looking for. Hopefully Yoongi would like it just more. Y/N added a couple more things to her cart before checking out. The items would be delivered in the next few days and Y/N was beyond excited. She didn't know how Yoongi would react to the gift, but she hoped he would like it.

Y/N set her computer to the side and glanced at Taehyung out of the corner of her eye. For the last few minutes, he had been squirming around, eager to get to his favorite part, but she sensed he didn't want to feel like he was hounding her. Y/N laughed then sat back and patted her lap.

Taehyung gave her a happy smile and laid his head on her lap, nuzzling close to her. Y/N moved her hand to his hair, running it through the soft strands before moving on to his silky ears. Taehyung closed his eyes in delight. "I love your ear scratches so much," he said. "If Jin hadn't adopted me first, would you have?"

Y/N looked down in surprise. "Of course. I would have loved to adopt you, but we both know how much Jinnie loves you. He'd be lost without you," she said a sweet smile on her face.

Taehyung nodded. "I know, but I sometimes wonder why you don't have a hybrid. Is it because Jin took me first and you cant find one as wonderful as me?" Taehyung asked, opening one eye to look at her with a smirk on his face.

Y/N tugged a strand of his soft hair and he whined in protest. "You silly pup. I'm actually thinking of getting a hybrid in a couple of weeks. I'm going to be on winter break, so I will have time to spend with one," she explained. The idea of adopting Yoongi was becoming more and more desirable, but she still didn't know if he would be up for it.

Taehyung opened both of his eyes. "Is there any hybrid you have an eye on?" he questioned, thinking of the anxious grey cat. Although the cat was still scared, Taehyung could tell he wanted to be close to Y/N.

"Yes there is nosy, but I have to talk to him about it first. See if he would even be interested in it," Y/N said, stroking Taehyung's ears again. "But I will talk to him first before I tell you. That way you don't ruin the surprise." As much as Y/N loved Taehyung, he was a terrible secret keeper. If Y/N told him she was interested in adopting Yoongi, the entire clinic would know before she could even take another breath.

Taehyung pouted for a moment, but gave up when he realized Y/N was not going to give in. Deep down he hoped Y/N was referring to Yoongi, but decided to put it out of his mind for now. Tonight he would just enjoy the time with one of his favorite humans.