38: Preparations. 🗳

"Those we love can never truly leave us. There are things that death cannot touch"
-Jack Thorne.

The hearse came later that night to come and take Mkhulu. We watched his lifeless body being loaded into the car.

I was not really close to Mkhulu, I don't even have much to say about him. The only time I got close to him was after he was diagnosed with schizophrenia and it was too late to even try and create a strong bond.

He was someone that I don't really talk about, I don't even want to lie, but there were days where I even forgot that he was alive.

That doesn't mean I'm glad that he's dead, I'm upset. My heart is crying for Gogo. She just lost the love of her life. Sure, he was more of a liability than an asset but that doesn't change the fact that she knew this man for over forty years.

"We met when I was still in Grade 7, he was in Grade 8. I knew then, that this is the man that I want to spend the rest of my life with."

These words were our bread and butter, she always recites them when we complain about how much Mkhulu is becoming a burden. This is actually better, it gets even worse when she starts reciting her wedding vows.

"In sickness and in health" she says.

My Grandmother was a strong woman, she's always been my shoulder to cry on and now it was my turn to be there for her. Charmaine and I got to work and we started moving the furniture to our room as ordered by Gogo.

We took the mattress and placed it in the dining room and gave her a blanket to put over her shoulders. She also instructed us to light candles. She was trying by all means not to break down and cry, we were just as shocked as she was.

"Take my phone and call Bheki" she said in a low voice. I almost didn't recognize it. I did as instructed and told this Bheki what happened.

"HHHAWUUUU. Usho kanje, ushonile uMandlenkosi?"

[Is that so, Mandlenkosi is dead?]

"I'm afraid so. Can you please get here as quickly as you can, Gogo needs you"

"Ngisendleleni, ngiza noMaCele ozomuhlalisa kuMattrass. Kuzoshaya u01:00 sesiphakathi emagcekeni"

[I'm on my way, I'll come with MaCele who will sit with your grandmother on the mattress. I'll be there by 01:00]

I picked up my phone and called the first person who came to my mind. After a few rings, the person picked up.

"Hello" the voice said in a morning voice

"Langa, he's gone" and that's when I felt it. I broke down into tears and cried into the phone.

"Who's gone? Ada take deep breaths, everything's going to be okay. Tell me"

"My grandfather, he left us, Langa. I need you" I said breaking down my walls. I was now vulnerable. I had opened up to him.

"Ada, I'll make a plan. I'll be there tomorrow. Okay?"

"Okay" I said sniffing into the phone. We spoke for about two hours but then I had to drop the call because Charmaine and Gogo needed me.

We spent the whole night making phone calls and informing people of Mkhulu's passing. Dad said he was going to be here early in the morning.

The cakes that we baked did come to good use because we served all of the people who came scones and tea.