09: A Taste Of Freedom 📮

"To find yourself, think for yourself"
- Socrates

My driver picked me up from the school gates a week after the Charmaine incident in the toilet.

She hasn't talked to me since that day. I even tried smiling at her in the hallways and she pretends like she doesn't see me.

Seeing Charmaine like this in school made me re-think my decision about choosing to keep quiet and not state my side of the story.

During registration, I asked to be excused and I used the computer room to right a formal letter to my parents telling them that I'm ready to talk.

My driver dropped me off in front of the porch as he went to park the car in the garage.

When I opened the door, my parents were sitting in the living room. I handed them the envelope while I went and changed out of my school uniform.

I wore a simple white shirt and a black pencil skirt with my black pumps. My hair was in a braided ponytail and I came down the stairs.

Mrs Kane brought all of us a cup of coffee.

"So you're read to talk?" Dad asked me as he took a sip of his coffee.

"Yes" I said clearing my throat

My mother didn't say anything. She just looked at me with her eyebrow raised.

"Firstly, I'd like to apologize for the way I've been behaving for the the past few months." I started off

"Of course, you behaved like a wild animal. It's not how I raised you" my mother said in a not so calm tone.

"Vanessa. Let her talk" my father said.

"Thanks Dad" I said smiling at him. He nodded his head in understanding.

"I know you think it's adolescent maybe. It's not. I don't want to blame you ma, but I do" I said looking at her threw my eyelashes.

"Me? So your inexcusable behaviour is MY fault?" She raised her voice again.

"Let her explain Vanessa. Please" he said putting his hand on the small of her back. My mother rolled her eyes and looked away.

"Ma you weren't always like this. I miss you a lot. I missed the days when you used to bake for dad and I. We were normal. You always made time for you family after work and you always said 'I love you', in the morning, evening, night. Every damn time" I said sniffing as I felt a tear escaping my eye.

"I also miss you Dad. I remember Saturday was always family day, we would go out in the public and Sundays you and mom would go out on dates.

"I looked for someone who's going to give me that. I found it in Langa. Before you bad mouth him, he's taught me a lot of things. Did you even know that I can take a taxi now, I can even do the groceries and I know what a chisanyama is" I said smiling.

"Dad you saw Langa, you didn't really chat with him but I can ensure that you'll like him.

"Mom, you can't bring down another black girl. She's one of our own. Just because she's not rich doesn't mean she's stupid. She gave me the whole teenage experience.

"I might have got taken away by the whole lifestyle. I'm sorry" I said wiping my eyes since I was now crying hysterically.

My dad stood up and gave me a hug. I cried louder into his arms and mom also came and joined in on the hug. She was also crying.

"I'm so sorry for missing out on your life. I was afraid" my mother said hugging me tighter.

I felt relieved as I pulled away from her embrace.

"I love you Ada. I love you, I FUCKIN LOVE YOU" She said laughing as she pulled me in for another laugh.

We both laughed with tears in our eyes. Dad was sitting on the couch watching the whole exchange with a smile on his face.

"I'm sorry Dad. You're the only father I know and what I said was stupid". I said going in for another hug.

"It's okay honey. I know you were upset" he said wiping away my tears and giving me a kiss on my forehead.

"Take your brother to the cafe sweetheart we need to discuss something with your father" my mom said giving us R400.

I kissed her cheek and ran up the stairs to look for James. He was in his room playing on his iPad.

"Sissy, what's up?"He asked me. I looked at him with a smile on my face. He was wearing a plain white t-shirt and khaki shorts. His curly hair was getting huge now.

"Let's go to that cafe down the street what do you say?" I ask him

"I'm cool with that. Let me brush my teeth first. I'll meet you down stairs." he said. I waited for him in my room. When he was done he came to my room and we left with the driver.

We sat down and he had a huge smile on his face.

"We're going to order all the sugary stuff until we get diabetes" I said

"Hey Ada, how can I help?" Phindile asked offering us both a big smile.

"I'll have the-" I was immediately cut off by a voice calling Phindile behind the counter.

"I'm so sorry. I'll send you a waiter now" she said winking at me.

I sighed and looked at James. He was playing a game on his iPad.

I heard someone clear their voice and was shocked when I came face to face with Langa. I knew we were going to meet someday but I didn't expect it to be so soon.

"What will you have Ms Launter?" He asked with an eyebrow raised. I was still unable to reply. I felt so stupid because my confidence went down the drain.

"I'll have four chocolate donuts; four vanilla donuts with sprinkles; three brownies; two red velvet cupcakes and a large coffee with no sugar and two teaspoons of Coffee creamer" My brother James ordered.

"Don't you think that's a lot of sugar young man?" Langa asked with a smile on my face.

"Oh, I've never eaten this much sugar in my life before. We deserve it though. Ada was locked in her room for a lot of days, she didn't have anything. Just horrible food like a-"

"Enough James" I said calmly as I looked at the ground. I couldn't face Langa right now.

"It's true. I haven't seem mom that angry before, you should have-"

"James I said enough" I said now raising my voice.

Langa did exactly what I thought he would do. He gave me the pitiful look as if he felt sorry for me, he sighed and took down our orders.

"Please let me talk to you after my shift. I'll be done in 25 minutes." He said cupping my face. I nodded as I was still unable to form proper words.

Langa walked back to the kitchen and I sighed.

"Is he your boyfriend now? I didn't like Peter anyways" James rolled his eyes. I chuckled at my brother's comment.

"Don't start, James"

As soon as the kitchen door opened my heart stopped.

*****
Hello. So I've had more time to write since...well ya know.
Please vote if you enjoyed reading this chapter. Thank you.