26: Unexpected Visits.📮

"I wasn't searching for something or someone...I was searching for me."
-Carrie Bradshaw

I watched my phone ring on the dining room table as I was helping my grandmother mark the Grade 9 Natural Science papers. All I had to do was total the papers.

"Aren't you going to pick that up?" I checked the Caller I.D and groaned once I realised that it was Shawn. Took him long enough to find me.

"It's nobody important" I said taking my phone and putting it on airplane mode.

She shook her head and continued marking the papers and passing them on to me. I rolled my eyes and stood up to go make her and myself a cup of tea. A few minutes later we heard a knock on the door. I continued making the tea, it must be one of Gogo's friend with the freshest piece of gossip, I guess I'll have to make an extra cup now.

"Siphokazi"

"Yebo Gogo" I answered. I mentally clicked my tounge and put my hands inside my denim skirt pocket.

My mouth was left hanging open when I saw Shawn occupying the same spot I was in not so long ago.

"Hey" Shawn said with a small smile on his face.

He saw that I was still in shock so he continued to talk.

"I've been trying to call you on your new number. I got it from Charmaine."

I'll kill that girl with my bare hands I swear. My Grandmother cleared her throat and excused herself. She gave me a warning look and walked out of the dining room taking her own sweet time.

"Let's go outside please" I said walking ahead of him. I saw his Gusheshe parked outside of the gate and shook my head when he signalled me towards it.

"Let's take a walk" I said. At first it was just plain silence with no one talking between the two of us. We passed Mbali's house and I saw her sitting on the verandah.

"So I see that you decided to keep the baby. You didn't show up that day" he said. I was kicking small pebbles that were lying around on the road until I finally spoke up.

"I'm sorry. I guess I took some time and thought about it. You should love me for me, with all my baggage. If you can't accept the fact that I'm pregnant then you can't have me in your life" I said. He took some time and digested what just told him.

"That's why I came here. I wanted to make things right. I was a jerk and I guess I just wanted you all to myself. I want us to fix things" I looked at the boy who drove all the way from Umhlanga and came to dusty ol' Ndwedwe.

Shawn was a great guy. He was safe. Sometimes you don't need to be with someone you love but with someone who will protect you. Was I really willing to give him a shot while I know very well that my heart belongs to someone else?

"Shawn"

"Before you give me an answer, can I please take you out. You can give me your answer at the end of today. Think of it as a late birthday present"

"But my birthday was a whole month ago"

"I know. Just, please" I hesitantly nodded my head and he failed to hold it in, he picked me up and spun me around even though it was uncomfortable as hell.

■□■□■□■

Which brings us here. I was wearing my shoulder length weave and an oversized sweatshirt with a knee length denim skirt.

We were sitting in a restaurant and I was stuffing my face with a bacon and cheese burger.

"Are you enjoying your food?" The waiter stopped by to ask us. I awkwardly smiled at him with my mouth full while Shawn replied for the both of us.