00: The High Life 📮

"Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom"
-Aristole

Waking up to a lot of noise is not how I wanted to start my day. The windows were already opened by my nanny of more than a decade, Francesca. I spotted my school uniform neatly hanged on my closet handle, there was not even a single crease on my navy blue uniform and my white shirt with the boring school emblem which smelt like the perfume I used on Monday.

It took me some time to get out of bed, I shall never get used to waking up early now that I have extra classes in the morning, I do blame my pathetic brain which is unable to process any information that comes out of Mr Lancewood, my Math teacher.

The two huge doors to my bedroom opened automatically as Mrs. Kane, a 50 something year old woman, pranced in with a tray full of breakfast.

"Good morning Ms. Lautner, did you enjoy your sleep?" she asked as she made herself useful and poured a cup full of warm milk over my bowl of Corn Flakes.

Each and every day I got tired of hearing the same old greetings, fake smiling for the same old people and speaking 'proper'. I wanted to swear like all of the teenagers out there, and say the 'f' word.

The crappy greeting I receive always sound so rehearsed like my dad's speech in front of the national government.

"Oh yes I did Mrs. Kane, how is the family in Italy?" I asked as I ate a spoon full of cereral.

"Their doing very well, may I ask to be excused?"

I nodded my head quickly as it was rude to speak with food inside your mouth.

She walked out of my room with the doors closing automatically behind her.

Sometimes, I miss the days when my dad would come back home early and we'd have all the time in the world with him.

We used to live in a small 3 bedroom house in Port Shepstone until he figured out that the place was too small for us because of his promotion.

My dad was promoted as the Minister of Transport causing him to give all these crappy speeches about road safety which he doesn't even follow sometimes.

My mom on the other hand changed drastically after my dad spilled the news on his new job. She resigned as the head baker at a fancy cafe with immediate effect.

She chose to be a "plastic wife" and she never bakes for us anymore. Everything around us changed, and our parents started loving us less, I got more depressed and put on some weight.

There don't seem to notice because they are never there, I've learnt to give my little brother, James, the love he never received from both of my parents.

I slowly peeled the covers off my body and dragged my feet to the shower, today I really didn't feel like going to school, but I already missed 3 days of it.

I showered quickly and got dressed in my school uniform and I put my hair in a ponytail.

I jogged down the stairs and sat on the kitchen island.

"Good morning Mother, Father, James" I said taking my school bag, getting ready to leave.

"Good morning sweetheart"