12: The President's Birthday 📮

"And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?"
-Rumi

(Don't forget to vote)

"Can you imagine the audacity?" Nathan spoke into the phone. I was busy cutting my nails and we were on a phone call, including Charmaine.

"Let him be babes," Charmaine said. She was coming her hair getting ready for her date with Andile.

"Do you have your suit ready Nathan?" I asked him.

"For sure, oh and Charmaine wear sneakers, you don't want to be too formal on the first day." He said rolling his eyes.

Nathan was at a barber shop getting his hair trimmed.

"Chill Nate, I have to go take a shower guys. I'll be late" Charmaine said disconnecting the call.

"Thank you so much for doing this for me Nathan." I said.

"No biggie. You also gave me your friendship and time in return and that's all I've ever wanted." He said as he titled his screen. He was no longer paying attention to the call as he was reprimanding the barber for something he did wrong.

I also disconnected the call and headed downstairs. My mother and Mrs Kane were baking up a storm in the kitchen.

"What's going on here? Aren't you supposed to be getting ready we're leaving in 2 hours" she wiped the flour off her apron and took it off.

"That's a lot of time. I just need to get my hair and makeup done. I was busy making cakes which I wanted to bring as a gift to the event we're going to."

"Where's Dad?" I asked looking around.

"Oh he'll be here when he comes to fetch us. He's held up somewhere" she said rushing up the stairs most probably to change into her attire.

"Can I have a cupcake Mrs Kane?" I asked her. She nodded her head.

There were all types of baked goods including banana bread; muffins; donuts and fruit pies.

I took a cupcake and peaked inside James' room only to find it empty. He must be visiting a friend.

■□■□■

I wore my African printed dress and decided to wear my box braids up in a bun. I did not put any make up on my face, all I did was shape my eyebrows and use light lip gloss.

I wore yellow block heels which matched my dress and walked down the stairs. My mother was busy packing the baked goods into her Tupperware containers.

"You look great baby, where's Peter?" She asked walking behind the kitchen sink and washing her hands.

"I'm taking a friend" I said plopping myself on the couch.

"Someone I know?"

"No, you don't know him mom"

"Honey I know I said you can explore and I let you free but don't you think it's a bit too much" she said slowly as if she's afraid she might touch the wrong buttons.

"Oh Mama, he's gay" she released a long breath.

"Let me go quickly change into my attire" she rushed up the stairs. Luckily her hair and makeup was already done.