36 : Reconciliation🗳

"The hardest pain about being a parent is watching your child go through something and knowing you can't fix them"

- Unknown

"Drive faster Tumelo."

I don't think I've ever been this nervous in my life before. I could feel my heart beating inside my chest. Through the three months that I've mothered Mihlali she's been sick, but never to the point that she needs to go to the hospital.

I don't know how to feel. I don't know who to blame. I don't even know why I went on this date. It seems like the date ruined everything for me.

I should have just went back to KZN with my child, sat with her in front of the TV and ate some Sweet Chilli Doritos while she had her Butternut puree.

"Please stop overthinking babe, I'm also stressed. I don't like seeing you in this state" Tumelo said as he rubbed my thigh with his free hand.

"Tumelo this is my daughter we're talking about" Tumelo nodded his head and turned down the radio so we could have a proper conversation.

"When Mihlali gets out of hospital, we'll never go anywhere without her. I'm so sorry, I also blame myself"

"It's okay. It's not your fault Tumelo" I said.

My phone rang at that time and I picked it up without checking who it was.

"Hello"

"Ada, you picked up"

I pulled the phone away from my ear to check who it was that was so glad that I picked up the phone. I rolled my eyes when I saw that it was only Langa.

"Oh, it's you"

"I'm at the hospital with Siyanda. Could you please tell your fling to press the gas pedal harder because our daughter needs us" with that he dropped the call. I slammed my head on the seat and Tumelo quickly looked at me.

"Who was that?"

"A fly" I said as soon as we arrived at the hospital. He left me in front of the building while he drove off to look for a parking spot.

I entered the buildings in a hurry and ran to the reception.

"Mihlali Phehlukwayo?" I asked banging my hand on the desk.

A nurse raised a finger whilst she was talking on the phone, giggling. I snatched the phone from her hand. She looked at me with shock plastered on her face.

She then clicked her tongue and typed down her name on the computer. Tumelo came a few seconds later and placed his hand on my shoulder. He gave me a kiss on my cheek.

"Calm down baby, she'll be fine" The nurse gave her directions to her ward and we went there. We found Siyanda and Langa outside the room.

"What's wrong, why are you all outside here? Where's my child and why aren't you with her?"

Langa stood up from the meal seats and walked over to me. He left Siyanda sobbing by herself. I guess Tumelo saw that there was nothing that he could do to calm me down so he took a walk to the small cafe inside the building so he could get me black coffee.

Langa gave me a long hug whilst Tumelo was away. I felt that comfortableness again, that warmth. My safe place.

"You'll be okay. Mihlali is going to be okay. We're her parents. She'll be happy to see us together" he said as he finally let me go and lastly, placed a small kiss on my cheek.