01: Ocean Views 📮

"The only journey is the journey within."
-Rainer Maria Rilke

Today I woke up feeling very rebellious. I turned on the other side of the bed to see that Peter was not there, he must have left early.

It was a Saturday morning and I know for a fact that my parents were not there.

I had a quick shower and changed into a grey jumpsuit and matching pumps. My hair was a mess, I needed to call my hairdresser, I'm feeling saucy, I want conrows.

I jogged down stairs and was greeted by a silence. Pete was outside in the backyard having breakfast.

"Hello shortcake, your mom said to tell you that she loves you" he said taking a bite of Mrs Kane's Saturday Breakfast special.

"What time did you wake up?" I asked as I took a seat on the chair outside.

"5am" he said. That was 4 hours ago, damn this boy.

Someone walked in with a plate of breakfast but I kindly declined.

"Oh no, thank you Mary. I think I want to go to the cafe mom used to work for today" I said.

"...Ada you know how your parents feel about being out in the public" Peter said next to me.

"Oh Peter, stop being a wuss" I said rolling my eyes in the process.

"What has gotten in to you?" He asked as he looked at me with dissapointment.

"Nothing Peter, I guess the movie we- wait no, I watched yesterday shone a light unto me" I said as I stood up and walked inside the house.

"FRANCESCA!" I screamed, as I stood in the middle of the hall.

She came running in with her eyebags hanging, poor woman.

"I'm giving you a day off, and tell that to the rest of the staff too" I said as I took out my phone and requested for an Uber.

"Ada, No!" Peter said. He was pleading with me but I've had enough now, I've been the perfect girl for my mom and my dad but I just can't seem to grab their attention, maybe this will help.

"Oh fuck off Peter"

At that very moment, my phone buzzed indicating that there was a new notification.

"Your ride has arrived"

***

The smell of freshly baked cupcakes and coffee beans hit my nose. It felt weird being in here without my family. The place has changed a lot over the past 10 years.

There was a new coat of paint, but the old staff was still here. I walked to the front of the cafe and was greeted by Ms Mpisane, the owner of the cafe.

"Am I seeing things. Is this you my Little Mermaid?" She asked as she removed her glasses.

The greying woman was wearing an apron with flour on it, your stereotypical baker.

"Yes Mama" I smiled widely as I looked at her. She opened the little door which separated her from the customer and pulled me into a huge hug.