22: The Hard Truth 📮

"You find peace not by rearranging the circumstances of your life, but by realising who you are at the deepest level."
- Eckhart Tolle

"So you're my dad?" I asked, looking at him with disgust.

He was too ashamed to even speak up. Melinda was by my side massaging circles on my back.

"It explains a lot of things actually. Why you-"I said slapping Melinda's arm away.

"-you recommended that book. It explains why my mother fainted at the party. Why you were being so nice to me" I said standing up.

"Woah Siphokazi I tried to tell you many times but your mother didn't want you to know Siphokazi I'm sorry" he said taking slow steps towards me.

"DON'T YOU DARE COME NEXT TO ME. DON'T EVEN LIE ABOUT THIS" I said backing away slowly.

Langa walked up to me and I found my way to his arms, they were already waiting for me and I didn't waste any time, I cried.

He was massaging my back whilst I was messing his t-shirt. I slowly backed up away and processed the whole situation.

"I need to go get some air" I said.

"I'm coming with you" Langa said as he walked ahead of me. I took deep breaths as I made my way towards the already opened door.

"Get in" he said opening the car door to his car. I entered and he walked to his side and started the car. We drove in silence. I didn't utter a single word throughout the whole journey because I was in tears.

Langa placed his hand on my thigh which was comforting for me.

We drove into an unfamiliar suburb with huge houses and big front lawns. As you moved north, the houses started to get bigger until we stopped in front of a huge house. Langa fiddled in his arm rest until he pulled out a remote. The gate opened and we drove inside.

He parked in front of the house and left the engine running. He led me inside the house, he took huge steps and I was finding it hard to keep up. I had no time to look around the grand house. It was way bigger than ours.

"Do you work here now? Is that how you were able to afford the car?" I asked as he led me towards the backyard which had a very homey touch to it.

"Just please. Give me a moment" at that exact time a man who looked to be in his early 40s walked in with a notepad in his hand.

"What will you have to eat Mr Phehlukwayo and Ms?"

"I'll have my dad's Glenlivet on the rocks please. Ada here will have anything she wants"

I sat there on my seat still trying to process what was happening around me. His bosses must be really cool if they allow him to order stuff in their house.

"I'll have orange juice and a chicken salad, thank you" I said. He wrote it down and walked away.

"Ada. You must be confused. I know a lot of questions are running through that curious mind of yours" he said smiling at me. It was genuine. I haven't seen the smile in a while.

"I actually am quite curious. I mean, you must have some really cool bosses-"

"Ada this is not my boss' house. It's my home. I was raised here. I live here" I held my belly and started laughing at him until I looked at him and realised that he was not joining in.

"Wait. So you're not... poor?" I asked moving away from him.

"No Ada, I'm not. Please try to calm down and listen to me"