CHAPTER 29

ENTRY #29 KYUNG'S DIARY (an excerpt)

I never believed in superheroes 'cause they are unreal, they are just an imagined persona with such perfect capabilities. I never believed that they exist until I realized that superheroes can be anyone. He/She may be a stranger who saved you from danger, or a friend who will always be there everytime you need them, or yourself... you can be your own superhero.

I was depressed when Appa passed away. I love him so much to the extent that I questioned if it's still worthy to live without him. We knew he'd be gone but still we weren't ready for that day. We were hopeful that he will live longer because Appa was a strong man. He battled with cancer since we were young and he survived so we thought, with his optimistic perspective, he'll surpass the disease again but the cancer took over weakening his body until he cannot endure it anymore. We have witnessed how Appa fought hard and he always tried his best to hide his pain. Like a soldier in war, bravely fighting for life, who's deft to face a hard battle but once shot in a critical part, even if the strongest warrior, gives up.

I wanted to be a doctor for Appa but he was gone before I can be one. I felt pressured as I started asking questions to the Heavens... why do we need to face this hard trial? How are we going to make it without him? What would life be if our strongest foundation is gone now? We were losing hope... I was losing hope but one day I woke up seeing my Omma cooking in the kitchen with her puffy eyes, I realized that life goes on and we have to move forward. My mother's pained eyes have given me the reason to strive for life. I wanted to erase her sorrow and bring back her smile. I don't want her to worry about our future so here I am working. My twin who's a happy go lucky person, I wanted to be like her. They are the ones giving me the courage to face each day with a smile.

Appa, Omma and Jeongie are my superheroes. They don't know how much they inspire me to keep going on. I felt homesick as I started to work for the Prince. At first I want to give up because it was too tough but I thought about my family. I cannot lose this job for them. We need to survive. I felt braver each day and the worry in me subsided as I got to learn more about the Prince who I consider now to be one of my superheroes. I just found out that he was the one who saved me and my colleague from getting tortured in the training camp. The torture was supposed to be a punishment for us after being late in the morning formation. Everyone was scared for us because torture means death but it got cancelled without us knowing how and why until I've met our former training officer today, revealing to me that it was Master who receded the punishment. Because of Master, we were safe and we were able to finish the training. I was really surprised to learn that information because he was always rude but yeah, inside of him lies a kind-hearted person. For sure he has his reasons why he is acting so gritty. I don't want to meddle but I hope someday he can be in his true self. Anyway, no matter how cruel he is, I can't get angry at him and I don't know why. This is weird but he's like a younger brother for me. Maybe, I already learned how to love him not in romantic way hahaha but like the love I have for my twin Jeongie.

I was about to knock on his door when I heard that he is crying. It is his birthday today and I learned that his mother passed away on his tenth birthday, so it's his mother's death anniversary. I can imagine his pain. For sure he's longing for his mother... like the way I am missing Appa.

- - - -
Trapped inside Kyung-wan's room in Jin's house, reading the entries in his diary, Jeongyeon's Omma is crying, reflecting with her son's writing. She pressed the embossed letter stickers reading, "Life goes on... Carry on..."