P A R T 2 | Chapter 24

How do we get here? I used to know you so well

My father was quick to arrive, claiming he was the new person in charge of me. They took his word for it as Chief of police, when my dad got to me he took off his jacket to shield me of the paparazzi that had apparently gathered outside.

"Are you okay?" My father asked as we passed by the Eating customers. I didn't say anything, I kept my eyes on the floor, because I did not know how to respond to that. I was okay but at the same time I wasn't. Stephen was my best friend, one of my only friends, but I guess that is what happens when you mix personal feelings with business. How could I have been so stupid if this has happened before?

My father opened the passenger door that was being guarded by some of our other personal bodyguards, he helped my inside them slammed the door and squeezed through the paparazzi who continued to ask never ending questions and snap thousands of unflattering photos. But at the moment I just didn't care. The passenger side door opened along with the back seat door on the drivers side, the bodyguards had gotten back inside the car. My dad eyed me from the Rear view mirror but didn't press me further, he just drove off slowly to not harm anyone or anything that stood in the way.

The ride home was silent, these bodyguards although we had known them for a while, they wouldn't talk to us like we were friends, they would talk to us as if we were their boss. They were very professional and mature which is why it came as a shock when they too asked me if I was okay when we had gotten out of the car and into my home. I didn't know how to answer their question so I just nodded. What else could I have done? I know they were only asking me for legal reasons, like if Stephen threatened me or hurt me in some way. I mean he did, but not in a valid way.

Tom came flying down the stairs when he saw me, "Are you okay?" He asked as he pulled me into an embrace, "Yeah" I simply said as I clung onto him. "I am so sorry that this happened to you" he mumbled, I didn't respond, I just let him continue holding me.

"What was Stephen's reason for leaving?" My mother asked as she walked in from the dining room. My father and the other guards walked into the room right on time to hear my mothers question. I looked over at the girds pleadingly, "I'm sorry, Miss, but this we need to stay to hear" Joseph, one of the guards, explained. "It is not because we want to be nosey, it is in case Stephen tries to do something" Claude, the second bodyguard, spoke up. I nodded, "Stephen left because I chose to be with Tom" I shrugged as my eyes flickered to the floor.
"What?" My dad asked in confusion while my mother gasped.

"Did he give you any other reason?" Claude asked, I remained silent. "Colin" my father warned, "Give her time, Sir" Tom said calmly as he placed his hand on my shoulder. He smiled at me warmly, I smiled back but sighed.
"He said the friendship between us was unprofessional and since Tom and I were going to be together he said that we would replace him the further we build our relationship" I explained.

"So Stephen was in love with you?" My father asked, I shrugged, "My god, but he was your best friend" my mother put her hand over her chest in empathy. "I think he will be coming soon because he must gather his items" I spoke.

"His stuff will be waiting for him outside for your security" Joseph reassured, I smiled sadly at him.
"Is that all, my love?" Tom asked, I shrugged again "nothing more" I shook my head then remembered how Stephen said he had been thinking about leaving for a while.

"Lets go upstairs" Tom said taking my hand, I agreed then let him lead me upstairs, Joseph and Claude followed but to grab Stephen's items for him so we wouldn't have to make contact. Tom and I went into my room and sat on the bed, the door was shut by Claude as they walked past my door.

"Would you like to take a nap, my dear?" Tom asked, I smiled at him. "Only if you'll join me" I said to him, "sounds like a plan" he chuckled. I stood up to pull the comforter off so that Tom and I could lay down. I laid my head on his chest while his arm draped over me he turned his head and planted a kiss on my forehead, I chuckled quietly and let myself be lulled by his heart beat, I couldn't even tell if Tom was going to sleep either because I was already out like a light.

✖️

My eyes shot open to the sound of shouting, it was distant so I knew it was coming from downstairs. Tom still seemed like he was asleep so I did not want to wake him. I slowly got up and removed his arm off of me on the process as well. He was snoring lightly which made me smile but my smile fell when I heard more shouting. It sounded like a bunch of cops, no, it sounded like our bodyguards. My stomach sank, I only thought of one person who they can be shouting at like that and it was Stephen.

My legs moved before I could process anything, it was like they were in charge for the moment. My hand reached for the door knob and turned it silently. I swung open the door quietly as well then turned around to Tom who had shifted slightly. I sighed then left the room, not bothering to close the door because I knew Tom would wake up soon as well.

"We are trying to warn you!" I heard Claude shout as I began to quietly sneak down the stairs, "About what?!" Another voice shouted, my stomach sank because it was Stephen's. Of course it was, it had to be, I recognized his voice faster than I would my own. I hadn't realized I froze until someone at the top of the stairs called for my intention in a barely audible whisper. I looked over to see my mother signaling me to come back upstairs.

"She isn't here anyways, we already told you" Joseph said sternly from the kitchen, it sounded as if they were by the back door. I smiled at her reassuringly "It's okay" I mouthed then began to walk down the last few steps.

"I'm not stupid, you think that you can lie to me? I know your methods because Im the one who taught them to you!" Stephen shouted in response.

"I'm not going to hurt her, I just want to speak to her. I just want to apologize, that is it" I heard Stephen calmly say now. I frowned and stepped into sight from around the door frame to the kitchen, which caused all three men to jump. "For what, exactly?" I asked which made Stephen look relieved to see me but I could not return the favor, unfortunately.