Chapter XXIV

What if our love never went away?
What if it's lost behind words we could never find?
Baby, before it's too late, what about now?

⚔️

"Gene!" I shouted then pushed him out of the way while Jennifer pointed her weapon in the direction where Gene once stood. I then grabbed her wrist, pointing the firearm in the air, she began to scream like a maniac.

"Stop it! I don't want to hurt you!" I shouted at her.

She froze too, recognizing my voice.

"You!!" She shouted and struggled even more. She then kicked my shin which had no affect until a shot went off, catching me off guard.

She then put down her gun but I instinctively threw a blow straight into her face, then slipped the gun out of her hand, putting on the safety on the gun as I did so.

Many footsteps were heard scurrying towards my direction.

Jennifer was about to stand up again but I quickly restrained her, when the officers piled into the room I explained to them what had just happened, they took the gun away from me that once belonged to Jennifer then lead me out of the home while I restrained her, she kept struggling but she was in a daze from the blow I can assume.

When we neared the rest of the police vehicles, I was welcomed by a very loud atmosphere, there were reporters, many police officers and nosey bystanders, I ducked my head down from cameras and the people's eyes as I handed over Jennifer to the officers who were going to put restraints on her as well as arrest her.

"You did great, Miss?" The officer who had gone in with me approached me, "Mystique" I grinned.

"Mystique" he nodded.

That's when Frankie approached me, "Mystique?" He asked.

"What? I figured if i was going to change appearances I should have a name to go with it" I shrugged.

"It suits you. How would you like your hair flaming red to suit the character" he joked.

"I say sign me up" I smiled he shook his head then hugged me.

"We start today" he simply said then joined my mother who smiled at me then looked at Tom who was being questioned.

"I'll see you later" she said.

I knew what she wanted to do, she wanted me to talk to him. I can't. I shouldn't.

I began to peel off the vest, I handed it over to Gene's partner then ignored those who were wanting to question me, I managed to walk up the block reaching a small park with a pond, there were ducks and ducklings swimming along, birds feeding on the remains of people's food, dogs being walked by their oblivious owners. I sighed then took off my glasses I had on this whole time.

I then looked down at my badge I carried with me, my thumb caressed the gold crevasses, and the black lettering.

I walked towards a trash bin then my hand hovered over the entry way.

"Don't."

So I didn't. I paused then turned to my left seeing the one and only Tom Hiddleston approaching me, he's usually the man who takes in his surroundings, looking up at the sky, the birds, the people, everything. But his main focus was me. I turned away and faced my back to him, clutching the badge I hadn't thrown away.