Chapter XXIII

Every time I lose a fight
And I'm dying to be right
I just paint it black
So you remember

⚔️

We entered the child center the next day, it was Frankie, myself, my mother and Gene as well as Gene's partner.

They flashed their badges at the lady at the front, ordering her to see Jennifer's files to see if she ever really gave birth, and if she did, to see the real birth father.

"I'm sorry, sir, I can not give out that information" the lady said apologetically.

That's when I stepped in. I know I shouldn't have but I did.

"Hun. Please understand that withholding this information can get you and this whole clinic in trouble. Your client we are speaking about could potentially be endangering a child as well as holding a man hostage. It is a critical part in this investigation. Who knows what this woman is capable of." I said to her, attempting to keep my temper.

She remained quiet then gave us a confused look.

"Wait. Jennifer Vander?" She asked.

"Yes" we all said. The girl then began to look stuff up on her computer screen.

"Yeah we have her on file but we don't have her down for having a child. She's brought a child to get checked up but the child she brings is her nephew, the son of her sister, she's out of town and Jennifer has been taking care of Xavier for a few weeks" she explained to us.

We all looked at each other in realization, this was all a trick to get Tom back here. Of course it was.

"Can we have a copy of that?" Gene asked.

"Yeah sure, I just hope I don't get fired" she muttered. "We will see that you don't" Gene's partner said to her.

She then printed out Jennifer's profile as well as the child's, then handed them over to us.

I looked down at the papers, skimming over them to find her contact information or her address.

"Boom, here, lets go before they wake up" I said to Gene and Frankie.

"Woah woah woah, if you're going to be busting into people's homes let's go get you geared up first" Genes partner said to me.

"Do not encourage her going in there with that psycho b*tch" my mom said worriedly to them.

"Mom... this is what I do for a living" I mumbled quietly.

"No. You're starting over. I know what you always wanted. This whole putting your life at risk is not good for you." My mother said as we were leaving the clinic.

"Then what is? This is all I've ever been good at?" I questioned as we walked to the van we arrived in.

Gene opened the trunk doors then his partner grabbed a duffle bag, opening it as my mother joined my side.

"You were an amazing singer and actress, Honey" she said putting her hand on my shoulder.

"Mom... you can't base that off of school plays" I chuckled as Gene handed me a bulletproof vest.