Chapter 8.

I walked over and bent down to get the spare key from under the door mat.

"The door mat is your hiding place? Are you seriously joking? Do you know how..."

"Dangerous that is?" I interrupted him. "Yes I remember the lecture Jacob, gee this is a good neighborhood. We have excellent neighbors that look out for each other." I unlocked the door and bent back down to put the key back absentmindedly. Jacob cleared his throat. "Oh, right, sorry safety first. "I took the key with me.

I turned on the light.

"Want to watch TV or something while I cook?" I asked while pointing towards the open living room.

"Can I watch you cook?" He asked shyly.

"Uh, sure. Do you mind waiting for a few while I change really fast? These shoes are killing me. You can wait there in the kitchen. The bathroom is down the hall on the right if you need it." I pointed and Jacob followed attentively.

"I'll wait in the kitchen then. " He walked in and sat at the table with his arms crossed in front of him. "Need a drink or anything?" I didn't want to be rude or anything and just leave him here with nothing to do. "Go change Chris, I'll be fine." his eyes were so warm.

I quickly went to my room and kicked off my shoes and got undressed. I threw on some jeans and a t-shirt. I glanced at my hair in the mirror and it was still nice in loose waves and walked out to the kitchen. Jacob was standing in front of the refrigerator staring at the pictures held up by the magnets that Sarah and I had put up. He had a huge smile on his face as his eyes shifted from one picture to the next.

"You change quick." His voice startled me, he was still looking at the pictures and I didn't think that he heard me come in. He turned around and looked me up and down, "Nice." He motioned towards me, palm out.

"Thanks." I blushed. "So, you still hungry or what?" I tried to play off my embarrassment. I evidently wasn't the best when it came to compliments.

"I'm starving. What's on the menu?" He headed back to the table and sat down. I opened the fridge and pulled out a package of steaks I had taken out of the freezer earlier and a carton of eggs.

"Steak and eggs sound good?" I hoped he wasn't a vegetarian or a picky eater. That would totally suck if he was considering I'm a chef.

"Yum can't wait." He rubbed his hands together and licked his lips like a little kid.

 I pulled out the package of mushrooms and a large onion, I showed Jacob. "Are these ok too?"

"Sure, sure. I'm not picky at all when it comes to food." What a relief.

I made a quick dry rub with some spices and out the steaks to cook. In another pan I sauteed onions and mushrooms with butter. Jacob's eyes followed my every move, making me feel a little self conscious. I pulled out another pan and heated it for some eggs.

"How many eggs do you want?" I asked him. "These steaks are pretty large..."

"Uh, six?" His eyes dropped to the table and he started to fidget.

"Is that it?" I teased, waiting for the punch line. But there was only awkward silence. "Well," he finally spoke up, "I am pretty hungry, so maybe I should say eight, just in case." His face dropped lower and I could see the distinct red under tone in his cheeks. Well, he was a pretty big guy, so it's only natural that he should have a big appetite, right?

"I'll make a few extras just in case." I didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable. "Thanks." He smiled as I began breaking eggs into a large bowl. "Hey, do you like homemade salsa?" I asked.