Chapter.38

::Jacob's POV::

Paul broke into loud snarls as he looked up at the bloodsucker dangling from a branch like a filthy monkey, taunting us and laughing.

"Oh look. A pack of puppy dogs pretending to be big bad wolves." The melody of his laughter echoed through the trees.

Paul took up a pounce position again.

'Easy Paul, relax! Stand down, now!' Sam commanded.

Paul's snout hit the ground as he obeyed the alpha's command.

"Poor little puppy. Don't you know that dogs can't jump?" The filthy leech jumped from one tree to the next.

Pinecones dropped from above hitting us in the head and causing us all to bark out. There was no way any of us could reach the fucker, only if we were in human form could we even think about climbing a tree and getting it. I bet I could reach it. I was taller and stronger than the rest, I could jump up there and get the leech out of the tree.

'Get that thought right out of your head Jacob Black.' Sam barked out.

'I wasn't going to do shit oh grand alpha. It's just a thought.' I rolled my eyes.

The leech chanted above us. "Perhaps if you grew wings you might fly up here and catch me!" He laughed louder dangling from another branch.

The pack went crazy with barks and snarls.

"I hate when my mealtime is interrupted." The bloodsucker's laughter died. "I'm tired of games." He hissed. "Go find a herd of elk to eat!"

He looked down at the pack and then sprung to the next tree, the pack followed below. He lifted his head to the sky and inhaled deeply.

"Ahhh! A young delicious woman waits for me. I haven't the time for games pups. Go away!" He looked down on us with menacing eyes and snarled.

Everything went red. I was blinded by fury at his words. That was my girl, my Christi he was talking about. I knew it!

'Jake, you don't know that for sure.' Embry cut in.

'The leech saw us in the forest. I could smell the bastard!' I howled out with anger.

There were voices in my head, but I paid them no attention, I was furious. I looked up at the fiend and mentally surveyed the distance between us. I could reach the fucker, I know I could! Just one large leap and the filth would be mine.

'Jake! No!' Sam yelled.

I didn't give a fuck, I crouched back and sprung up as high as I could leap. Everything happened so quickly. The fucking leech saw me as I sprung and swatted me like a fucking fly. One moment I was in the air and the next I was being thrown against a tree. I felt the bones in my left shoulder break painfully as my body ricocheted off of the tree and landed on the ground with a loud thump. I yelped in pain.

'Damn it Jake! What the fuck were you thinking?' Sam and the others ran to my side.

Laughter echoed from the treetops as the fiend got away.

'Fuck!' I was in so much pain. 'Christi!'

She was the one and only thing on my mind. I didn't give a fuck about the pain, I needed her to be safe. That fucking parasite was hunting her.

'Embry Jared run! Go check on the girls!' Sam commanded.

Embry and Jared took off running fast as lightening, I attempted to get up. Bad idea. I howled in pain as soon as I tried to move.