Chapter.31

Jacob's POV:

There was no way I was going to let this be the end, hell, if I had to beg, grovel and plead like a damn idiot I would do it. Christi was the best thing that ever happened to me and I would be damned if I would let her go without a fight. I stepped on the gas and flew to her house. I knew I would have gotten there so much faster if I was a wolf, but there was no way that was going to happen with all her neighbors around. I had enough to worry about without the thought of nosy neighbors calling animal control on my ass.

I stepped up onto the porch and knocked. Blondie opened the door.

"Oh Jacob, I don't think I've ever been so glad to see anyone else." She said welcoming me with open arms.

It felt weird, but I gave her a hug, I didn't want to be rude. What I really wanted to do was to push her out of the way and barge into Christi's room, but I needed a game plan, I needed information first, information that I'm sure blondie had.

"How is she?" My business voice came through, this wasn't a social visit and I needed to make sure that Christi was ok.

"She hasn't left her room at all. She hasn't been to work in three days, one of the girls at the restaurant told me that Christi called in indefinitely saying that she needed some personal time off. She came out last night, some time, but I didn't see her. I've been knocking on her door and she either ignores me or tells me to go away. She refuses to talk to me. What happened between you two? She has never acted like this before? Jacob – I need the truth…" She squared her shoulders and looked me in the eye.

Fuck I wasn't counting on this, I didn't have time for this.

"Did you hurt her?" Her eyes narrowed and he jaw locked.

"No, c'mon Sarah, why the hell would you think I hurt her?" I shook my head in disbelief. I was seriously going to lose it again.

"I just thought that maybe – it doesn't matter – I had to ask ok? She is my best friend and like a sister to me, I don't want to see her get hurt." She kept rambling.
"Sarah." I put my hand on her shoulder. "I know you're not too crazy about the whole concept, but I love her and I would never – ever – do anything to hurt her. I would kill anyone who laid a hand on her. Believe me when I say that." I bit back a growl.

"I know." She whispered. "I'm sorry."

There was a knock on the door. We both looked at each other and then at the door. Sarah answered it. Paul was standing on the other side.

"Hey." He said casually. "I thought that maybe you could use some privacy Jake. Sarah, you mind?" He looked at her with hopeful eyes.

"Uh – I don't know – I feel weird leaving."

"C'mon babe, Jake can take care of this, please? For me?"

I watched Paul charm his way into blondie's head with pathetic puppy dog eyes. You've got to be kidding me, this isn't gonna work.

Blondie stood in silence contemplating for a few. I saw her worries melt away into a smile as she looked up at Paul's pathetic display. Gotta give it to him, he's smooth.

"Ok sweetie. Jake, if you need anything at all call us ok?" She insisted.

"Sure, sure." Like that was going to happen.

They left. I walked down the hall and stood in front of Christi's door. I listened in, I could hear her breathing deep and steady. She was sleeping. I tried the doorknob, of course the door was locked. Well if Paul could break in, then so could I. I quickly pulled my wallet out of my back pocket and flipped it open, I grabbed a credit card and slid it between the door and the door frame. I heard the latch give way. I quietly opened the door.