Chapter.34

::Jacob's POV::

Fuck this! I jumped out of bed and quickly looked over at Christi. Oh good she was still fast asleep. I went out into the living room and flipped my phone open and dialed Sam.

"Hello?" Emily answered.

"What's going on Emily?" I asked her feeling pretty irritated to be out of the pack loop.

"I'm not sure Jacob, they're not back yet." She said truthfully.

"Can you have Sam call me…"

"As soon as he comes back I promise Jacob." She interrupted.

I snapped the phone closed and started to pace the hallway. A low growl was forming in the pit of my chest, I needed to control myself. I pushed my fists up against my temples and leaned my forehead against the wall. I was dangerously close to losing it. My body was trembling. I heard the doorknob to Christi's room turn.

"Jacob?" She said sleepily.

Fuck!

"Yes honey. I'm here?" I can't let her see me like this. Calm down Jake, calm the fuck down!

She padded towards me silently. My head was still up against the wall.

"Jake, what's wrong?" She rushed over to me and placed her hands on my shoulders calming me down a little, but not much.

"Christi – it's ok, everything is ok, I just need a moment. Can you give me a moment please? I just need to – calm down."

"What's – Oh!" She stepped away from me. I could hear her breathing kick up. Her heart started pounding in her chest. Fuck I scared her.

"Don't be afraid, I'm ok." My voice was deeper than usual and the stupid growl in my chest started to rumble again.

She gasped. Fuck I couldn't do this. I turned around and bolted for the front door not bothering to close it behind me. I ran out into the street, past the houses and onto the highway. I can't believe I almost fucking lost it back there. Fuck! I left Christi alone in her house and unprotected, I need to get back. Calm down Jacob. Calm down!

I slowed down my pace. I hung my head down and took deep breaths. The trembling in my body died down. I stopped and looked up at the sky taking several more deep breaths. I'm ok, I'll be fine. I can't let this get to me, Christi needs me, if I can't be there to protect her then I am useless! I turned around and ran back to her house. I stopped on her porch to get my emotions in check. Good, calm. I walked up the porch and turned the doorknob, of course it was locked. I knocked.

"Christi, it's me, Jake."

I heard her footsteps hesitantly coming towards the door. The latch unlocked and the door opened slowly. Her breathing was uneven. Fuck I didn't mean to scare her, I never want her to be scared of me. Now you've done it Jake, you dug your own damn grave you stupid idiot.

"Christi? Honey?" I tried to sound as calm as possible.

"Y-y-yes?" She stuttered out nervously.

"Honey, it's ok, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." I reached out for her but she recoiled. Damn it!

"Are – are – you – ok now?" She said timidly.

"Oh God yes, yes Christi I'm fine. Please don't be scared. I just needed a moment to calm down."

"Did – did – I – do something wrong?" Her head dropped to the ground.

Shit, that's what this was all about? She thought – she – did something wrong? I dropped to my knees in front of her and wrapped my arms around her waist burying my face against her chest.