Chapter 53- Mission to Batuu Pt. II (We Run)

You take out another walkway, and the blast sends a rush of adrenaline up from your toes to the top of your spine. You know that the First Order is losing its advantage, and it's only a matter of time before the Resistance becomes unstoppable. You win some, you lose some, you suppose... The only thing separating you from your ship is the long stretch of ground, and the rainstorm of lasers pelting it...

And so, you make a run for it...

Your boots slam against the dirt path, and your ears ring out at every passing shot...

I'm gonna make it, you huff, I have to...

Then, suddenly, you skid to halt:

There, in front of you, are the First Order bridge officers: Officers Elsie, Gerda, and Kate.

They have their weapons raised.

You raise your hands and step forward.

"It's okay," you say, as the three of them lower their weapons. "It's okay. It's Me."
They scowl.
"Ren wanted to kill me." You say, my mission was a set up, and—"
            "We don't believe you, traitor." Elsie says, "And you know very well what the consequence is for treason... We simply must kill you, darling."
            "No!" You shout, "I'm not a traitor. When I joined the First Order...I thought it was to crush the Rebellion, but this..."
            "But what?" Kate asks. "What is it you're doing here?"
            "You thought it was to crush the Rebellion..." Gerda says, nudging you on, still aiming her gun at you.
            "I didn't realize it's just about seizing any power at all. I didn't realize love could destroy so much." You finish.
There's silence.
"You are nothing but a treacherous whore" Gerda spat, and then shot her gun at your feet, "Hux is psychotic if he thinks you're loyal. This will not stand."
"You're all fools," you cry, "You don't know what you're talking about!"
And then, Elsie cocks her blaster.
You weren't expecting this.
You know the three Officers have taken some issue with you, but execution? On the basis of...treachery? You don't buy it, and deep in your heart, you know w it could only be Darley's doing.
Move, a voice in your head echos, and in an instant you feel your body jolt sideways.
Then, you are thrown back by an ear-piercing blast, and you feel a sharp pain all across your left shoulder. You had never felt anything like it, and soon, there was impact, and you realized you had fallen onto the hard ground...
Your vision goes white, and for a moment, you wonder if you were dead. But then, the ringing lessens, and before you can stabilize yourself, you realize the Officers are gone.
            You see above you, the ship blasting away, into nothingness...

            You lay alone, your body screaming in pain, in a pile of rubble...

            The First Order had fled Batuu, and you had been left for dead.

            Gasping for breath, you shakily manage to get up, and, using every bit of energy left inside you, you start to run.

            Just before you go through the entryway, an alarm begins blaring.
"No no no," you curse. You comm Hux, but there is no response. "No! "
There is a heavy feeling in your heart. Have they really done it? You wonder, Is this the end for me? And I won't even get to give Hux a proper goodbye...

Tears well up behind your eyelids, and are pulled down your cheeks by the terrible gravity of the situation.
You have one life, and this is where it stops. So much for trying to do better for yourself. So much for believing that something as foolish as love could flourish in a galaxy ravaged by war. So much for everything.

Suddenly, your heart leaps with that feeling again...hope...

Because there, tucked behind some thick shrubbery, you see what looks like a fallen escape pod. Wincing in pain, you scramble towards it. It appears the plants protected it from the crossfire: It looks functional. You yank the branches to the side, and open up the hatch.
"FIRST ORDER OFFICER, DEAD AHEAD!!!" you hear a voice shout, followed by the unmistakable sounds of blasters cocking, and lightsabers whirring.
You ignore it, mind in full focus mode, and keep on, hitting every button on the control pad that looks anything like the ones you've worked on. It takes a few tries, but eventually, you kick off the ground. As soon as you enter lightspeed, you realize you never did stop crying.
But now you are safe, floating through space, out of sight and out of mind of anyone.
You press what remains of your uniform against your shoulder wound, hoping and hoping and hoping it will save you.
You take one final deep breath, before pressing the ship's comm button, and inputting the frequency code you'd remembered by heart.
"General Hux, this is Officer [Y/n], do you read me? I am seeking to communicate with General Hux... please..."
At first, the radio crackles, and you sink back into your chair.
But then....
"This is General Hux of the First Order and... [Y/n] is that you?"
You let out one jubilant laugh through your seemingly endless tears.
"Roger that, General. It's me."

—————————

To be continued...