Chapter 7: Change of Plan

You could have kissed him, and now he was gone. Your heart sank, and you felt a sort of sick feeling in your stomach. He was right next to you, heart beating, and you could have kissed him. And now that Hux was out of reach, you felt awful, like a hollow shell. Shit- it was THAT part of the crush. Without Hux by your side, you didn't know what to do with yourself. Silently and slowly, you finish the override on the general's speeder, letting out a sigh of relief. There, it was done. Now you had the rest of the day free. But you knew in truth, you would never again actually BE free- because you were trapped, shackled to a series of causes by your feelings for Hux. Anything he asked you to do, you would do it. You missed him.
            Somberly, you made your way down the hallway to the cafeteria. You were going to sit down alone, and eat your pudding in peace. You tended to do that to yourself in times like these- times of frustration. But when you finally arrived, you realized there was something you hadn't really accounted for.
            "[y/n]? [y/n], are you okay?"
It was Darley.
            "Yeah I'm fine, whatever."
But you weren't fine, and she knew it. Though maybe that wasn't such a bad thing...
            "Oh come on. You look down. Here sit with me," she said "Tell me everything you can."
Reluctantly, you sat doesn't at the table beside her.
            "I'm lonely and stupid," you said, "And I need to get a grip."
Darley smiled.
            "This is about Hux, isn't it?"
You sighed.
            "It's about him. Yeah. The crush is getting worse. He asked me to do repairs on his personal speeder, and he was so close to me when I was doing it so... I got this feeling like I could've kissed him right then and there. I can't believe it. He's my superior officer! I'm pathetic..."
Officer Darley nodded understandingly.
            "Sweetie," she said, "As your best friend, and fellow First Order officer, I'm going to tell you something ridiculous. And your not going to like it, and you're not going to believe me, but I want you to listen right now. Okay?"
You nodded.
            "What?"
            "Truth is, I think it's worth a shot with General Hux. Yeah I know, professionalism, and he could probably kill you... but maybe if you get him to like you first, without realizing that you like him, you'd actually have a chance. You only have one life, [y/n]."
You thought about that.
            "I mean, I guess. But what are the chances that cold bastard would even like anyone at all? All I'd be doing is risking my reputation!"
            "Or falling in love. The choice is yours, [y/n]."
            "I guess you're right. There's no point in wasting the only chance I'll get. So maybe I will try to get with Hux..."
            "That's my girl!"
            "But you can't tell ANYONE! If this gets out, I'm screwed, got it?"
Darley laughed.
            "Relax, I got it. All I'm going to do is sit back and watch as it all comes together. Capiche?"
            "Ugh," you said, "Capiche. Now go do some work or something. I'm going to see what the general is up to."
            "Good call. And good luck, [y/n]. I believe in you. Hundred percent."
            "Thanks", you gulped, though you really couldn't believe what you were about to try and do, "I'll do my very best."
And so, to Hux's office you went.