Chapter 46-Worth It

For the rest of the morning, Officer Darley followed every one of Hux's orders perfectly. She typed in coordinates, tracked unidentified space vehicles, and even fetched Hux a caf when he asked her too. She knew he was testing her—making sure he was just being paranoid; that [y/n] was in no danger at all. That everything would always be the way it was—secrets, and whispers, and illicit work romances—
Never to be known by the Officers.
Never to be suspected of anything.
Never to suffer any consequences.
And then, when The First Order lost the war, everyone would wonder what happened.
If only they knew the feelings of a corrupted General were all there was to blame...
Darley wouldn't let it happen. She couldn't let it happen. She could play Hux's little game for now—make believe that she was an obedient little subordinate, nothing more than an extension of his orders.
But things were changing. Dare Darley didn't want to be a cog in the machine anymore. She wanted to be the fuel that powered it; the sludge that oiled it.
She wanted to be the electricity in its fuses, and the bolts that kept it in tact. Her thoughts were growing darker, and she felt like she would soon be on top of the galaxy.
All she needed was a little more time....
            "Officer Darley," Hux said crisply after a few hours of solid navigational plotting, "I need to go...settle something off-bridge. Stay here and oversee the navigation."
            Darley nodded.
            "Yes, General Hux. As you command."
            "It should only be a while," Hux added, although something told Darley that it wouldn't be, "But for now, you shall stand in for me and keep everything organized. If something should go amiss, notify me immediately."
            "Of course."
            Hux paused for a moment, seemed to think about something far away, and then was back, looking straight into Darley.
            "Diligence," he said, "is very different from Trust. Or from Loyalty... Those are the  ideals of blind men. Of foolish men. I do not believe, Darley, that there is anyone here I can trust. Nor do I believe in any cause worth being blindly loyal to. The First Order has never been founded on Loyalty as virtue: Because when we say 'Loyalty To The First Order', what we really mean is Diligence. We want calculated troops who can, above all else- Get the job done. Quickly and efficiently. Diligently. That, Darley, is what I am asking of you. No more. No less. Get the job done, and everything will be just right."
            Darley thought about Hux's words. She hadn't realized Hux thought so critically about these, but it did not surprise her. How else would he have attained such a high position? But if he was getting at her dislike of [Y/n], he was way off base— because there was nothing, not even diligence in adhering to Order rules. That would stop her from completing her plan...
             "Get the job done," she said "Affirmative."
             Hux gave what may have passed for a small grin, and then turned around and left, leaving Darley alone, overlooking all of the other Officers.
            "Attention Officers," she boomed, "It's time to get to work!"

——————————

            Hux swallowed hard. He hoped (as he always did) that nobody has sensed his nervousness. Kylo was waiting for him a few hallways away, and this was the one chance he would get to make things right. One shot, one chance, one conversation. 
Or [Y/n] would be in deep trouble.
Forever.
            Eventually, Hux reached the point where Kylo had said to meet him.
            And there he was, standing like a shadow in the darkened corridor.
            Sinister.
            Waiting...
             "Supreme Leader," Hux said, making absolutely sure his voice wasn't shaking.
            "General," Kylo responded gruffly, "What, exactly, do you want?"
            Hux felt something awful in his chest, but he tried not to think about it.
            "There is something that I...er...would like to speak to you about. Privately."
            Kylo shifted from his place in the shadows, and Hux could finally make out his facial features. His black eyes simmered like dark, dangerous waters....
            Almost as if filled with...hope?
The very thing he had sworn against...
            "Really, Hux?" he said.
            "And...I do not know what it is you will say. But I believe it is necessary we discussed it..."
            Kylo stood up straighter, then, and focused hard.

            Whatever Hux is thinking, he would know first...whatever Hux was feeling, if he was feeling...

            Damn it.

            There was nothing there- Hux's mind was locked up tight as a safe.

            It would make sense if...

            "That does make rational sense, doesn't it, Hux?"
            "Well yes, because I think it treasonous not to discuss what is best for the Order. And I personally believe, with no ulterior motives would be best...for Officer [Y/n] to return among the ranks"

Oh.

            Kylo's eyes went dark again...

            "Officer [Y/n]?" He grumbled.

           "Well yes," Hux stammered, "Because, Supreme Leader, she knows valuable information that we cannot afford to let into Resistance hands. And I worry for our sake that if we do not preserve the members that we do have, especially skilled members with valuable skills like [Y/n], said members will defect to the other side."
            "Well," said Kylo, almost rolling his eyes, "I can assure you, General, that if [Y/n], or any other skilled or knowledgable officer behaves treasonously, they will be executed immediately."
            Hux sighed.
            "Supreme Leader, I assure you, [Y/n] has never shown any such traits, but we cannot allow our people to float around the unknown regions without purpose. That would be simply-"
            "Ridiculous. Right. So what exactly are you asking for, General?"
            Hux looked straight at Kylo then.
            "I was going to request... Firmly. That [Y/n] be reinstated as my assistant."
            Kylo slinked ever so slightly back into the shadows.
           "And what would you be needing an assistant for?" he spat,  "You are no longer important..."

That hurt.

            "I'm- I'm not-?"
            "And besides Hux, I know that you are still involved with [Y/n], and what kind of Supreme Leader would I be to allow such insubordination?"
            Hux blinked.
           "Insubordination?" Hux spat, incredulous,  "You're against insubordination?? Well what was it then when you and I f-"
            Suddenly, Hux was suffocating. But this time, he knew that the hand inside the leather glove around his neck was absolutely present. Kylo was choking him for real.
            "You know, Hux, what I don't think you understand, is that, like you, [Y/n] is not actually valuable to me. She is expendable... but her navigational skills will be useful for the mission we are about to complete... and I do have another job for her where we're headed... so, I guess she'll make a fine Bridge Officer until further action is necessary."
Suddenly, pain shot throughout Hux's body, and he was on the floor.
"Does that satisfy your firm request, General Hux?"
Hux peeled himself off the ground, with a few ragged coughs. His throat and neck were burning, and he could feel bruises forming across his body.
Kylo was strong.
This was humiliating.
"Y-yes Supreme Leader. Yes I... I shall return to my post. Immediately."
Kylo smiled, as Hux struggled to stand, and hobbled back towards the bridge.

Hux's cheeks burned with shame.

It was worth it, he thought to himself.

In the long run, it must be worth it.

[Y/n] is being reinstated into the First Order.

————————

****Hey guys!!!****

I know it has been a WHILE since I wrote anything. I was extremely overwhelmed with school, and had no time.

But now... with everything that's happening...it seems like I have infinite time:///

So there will be updates a LOT more frequently.

Stay Safe!!! I love you guys.

Xoxoxo, Jessie ❤️❤️❤️