Fourteen

I'm anxious. 

It has been almost a week since I've seen Alex and I haven't heard from him. Not once. 

What if he doesn't like me this time? What if he lost my number? What if he forgot about me? What if I'm stuck a year in the past for no good reason? I can't relive the whole last year and stay sane. I can't. Especially when no one seems to notice this reverse in time except me. 

I need to get out of this tiny apartment. I change into some workout clothes and slip on my Nikes. As I am standing in front of the mirror, pulling my hair into a ponytail, I start to really think about what is happening. 

I went back in time. Everything that has happened over the past year is erased. As of right now, there is no way back. This is terrifying. There is no one I can talk to about this. No one who would understand me. If I told anyone they would think I am actually insane. I can't even talk to Gabby, my closest friend. Or my dad, the person I trust most in this world. 

I look at my reflection and notice the tears streaming down my face. I look around bathroom and notice everything looks the same as I left it before I was thrown into this mess. But when I look at my phone, the date is all wrong. 

I need air.

I sprint to the front door and Gabby yells after me from the couch. "Where are you going?"

"I just need space." 

I slam the door and run down the stairs, breathing in the morning air. The clouds are still covering the sun, keeping the sky grey and giving me time for a cool morning workout. Giving me time to breathe before the heat makes me feel more trapped and claustrophobic than I already am. 

-

When I get home from my run I start to feel better. I turn on a hot shower to try to wash away my frustrations. 

After I wrap myself with a towel I hear my phone ping. I see that first letter and I remember why I haven't been going completely mad. 

Hey Leah, it's Alex

I'm giddy. I can't help but respond right away.

Hey Alex

I was wondering if you wanted to meet up? Maybe grab a coffee?

I speed over to my closet and try to find my best outfit. My blue dress, my blue summer dress that my dad picked out for my birthday. Where is it? I start flipping through the hangers in my closet and digging through my drawers until it dawns on me. He bought that for my birthday in 2019. I'm in 2018. It doesn't even exist yet. 

I settle on high waisted shorts and a simple tank top. It's just coffee. I don't want to come off as trying too hard. 

Sure(: Where do you want to go?

Meet at the Coffee House in 30?

See you soon(:

-

When I open the door, I notice that he has already saved a table for the two of us. His blonde hair is untouched, freely flowing wherever it pleases, just the way I like it. He's wearing my favorite outfit, a plain white t-shirt with black pants. And of course, his perfect smile is present as soon as he sees me walk in. 

Alex immediately gets up to meet me, embracing me with one of his hugs that I have grown so fond of over the year. 

"Long time no see?" His eyes squint as he lets out a small laugh. 

"Do I know you? What's your name again?" I joke and I can tell that my sarcastic nature is pulling him in. His smile hasn't faded since the moment he laid his eyes on me.

"What's your drink? Wait. Let me guess. A small coffee, three creamers, one sugar?"

I'm immediately taken aback. How does he know my exact order? Has he gone back in time too?

"Hey don't freak out," he reassures me. "I'm not some crazy stalker, just a good guesser. That happens to be my order too."

"Hmm. Alex the Airport Stalker. Has a nice ring to it."

"Hey! Don't give me away just yet! I've been looking forward to getting to know you."

I look up at him and our eyes meet. I feel the instant attraction. The instant chemistry. And I know he does too. 

-

As I lay in bed I reminisce on my date with Alex. I remember exactly why I fell for him in the first place. He's a gentlemen. He knows exactly how to treat a girl and make her feel special. When he shares his dreams of a successful surfboard business, he asks me about mine too. As much as I want to know everything about him, he has the desire to understand everything about me. For the first time since the airport, I go to sleep happy, like I was meant to be here, meant to make things right between us.