Eighteen

I shiver as I get out of the water and walk up the sand to our towels. It's the end of summer, so it's still pretty hot outside, but the temperature of the ocean has dropped considerably.

I sit on my towel next to Alex, burying my feet into the sand to warm them up.

"Here," Alex says, wrapping a towel around my shoulders. "I always bring an extra just in case."

It's a small gesture, but it's the simple things that can make you like a person more than you already do. As he wrapped the towel around me, I learn two things. One, he cares for me. Enough to know how I'm feeling without me needing to voice it. Two, he's prepared. It's nice to know that he can take care of not only himself, but others too. Even if it's just something simple like bringing an extra towel to the beach.

As the sun starts to set, we both pull our clothes on over our suits and head to the car, hand in hand.

"Wanna stop and get some poke? My treat."

Poke is the key to my heart and Alex knows that well by now. As I give him a nod, my mouth is already beginning to water.

-

When we get back to Alex's place the sun has completely disappeared. This is my favorite time of day, especially in the summer. It's still warm outside, but the sun isn't beating down on our bodies, draining our energy. When I can see the moon, my body immediately relaxes, letting me know that I whatever energy I exerted throughout the day is put to rest and I can recover for tomorrow.

As we walk inside, Chase spots us and yells out to Alex. "What are you guys doing tonight? A group of us are going to get dinner and drinks and then go bowling. You guys down?"

Usually I am all about going and hanging out with a group, especially if it involves food and drinks, but I'm exhausted from today and I hardly ever get to hang out with Alex, just the two of us.

Because Alex can read me so well, he has the perfect response without me having to say anything. "I think we are going to pass tonight. We've had a pretty long day. Definitely next time though."

Chase hops off the couch and heads for the door, shrugging his shoulders. "Suit yourselves. I'll tell you about my perfect 300 score tomorrow, but it won't be the same as seeing it in person." He winks and then closes the door behind him.

-

After I get out of the shower, scrubbing all of the sand off of my body and out of my hair, I throw on a pair of Alex's sweatpants and one of his t-shirts and meet him downstairs.

His eyes go wide. "Wow, can you wear my clothes all the time?" He begins to walk over to me until his hands are around my waist. He takes in the image in front of him, looking me up and down. "You look so hot."

I feel the heat from his lips and the soft trail of kisses he leaves on my neck and my heart starts to race. I know what he wants, but I'm not going to let him have it, just yet.

I pretend like I'm not phased and break away, walking straight into the kitchen.

He watches me from across the island, but remains where he is. "I could feel the goosebumps on your arms, Leah."

Don't crumble. Make him work for it.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I calmly say, not making eye contact. I open the freezer and look for some ice cream. It's getting hot in here.

I pull out a pint of ice cream, grab a spoon and start eating. My physiological senses are through the roof as he stares me down, but I'm not letting up. I want to win this game.

What can I do? I think as I eat another spoonful of ice cream.

Bingo.

I get a spoonful and make eye contact with him. I keep my eyes focused on him as I put the spoon in my mouth as sensually as possible. I swallow all of the ice cream and slowly pull the spoon out of my mouth, never letting my lips leave it until it's fully out.

I see his body tense, his eyes never leaving the spoon. I have him right where I want him.

"What's wrong?" I ask, fluttering my eyelashes. I look down at his mouth and he realizes that it has been hanging open and physically uses his hand to push his jaw closed.

"Come on, Leah. You know exactly what you're doing." He makes a move to walk towards me. "And you're doing it so well, I might add."

He reaches out for me and I lightly push his chest away. "What am I doing?" I ask.

"Leah, please. You're killing me. I can't play this game any longer."

"What game?"

Alex is exasperated and his shoulders drop in defeat. I win. "You're playing this game, trying to be in control and turn me on and I can't take it anymore."

"Trying to be in control?" I question, widening the gap between us again.

"Oh my, Leah! You're in control! Okay? Are you happy? You win."

That's all I needed to hear before I make a bee-line across the kitchen towards him, pressing my lips to his, the friction and heat erupting into flames, eventually forcing our clothes to perish.