Thirteen

As I walk down the aisle to take my seat, I can't help but look for him. I don't know how this whole time travel thing works, so I'm worried that he will have a different assigned seat. What if I went back in time, just to never cross paths again? What if I'm stuck here without another chance to make things work with him?

I put my small suitcase in the overhead compartment and take my seat next to the window. Just keep looking out the window. No searching for him. Act normal. I know I can't keep looking for someone I'm not supposed to know exists. That will make me look insane, thus ending my chance with him before it ever starts. In order to distract myself, I pull out my book, the same one that caught his attention last time.

"21, 22, ah 23B," I hear his voice say.

Act natural I remind myself. I try to focus harder on my book, trying to forget the fact that this is the beginning of my new relationship with Alex.

I feel the space next to me become occupied. I can smell the cologne I had gotten so used to over the past year, the one I have been missing these last few weeks.

"Normal People." It's his voice. "How is it so far? Pretty normal?"

That's when I look up and our eyes meet for the "first" time. It's exactly what I expected. It's the Alex I fell in love with. The one I want to be with. The one that tried so hard to make me a part of his life a year ago. It's all so familiar and nostalgic.

But when I look at him it's completely brand new. He doesn't register me as someone he once knew. I'm his blank slate, the mysterious girl on the plane that he has his sights set on. It's a new beginning, for both of us.

"Hmm, I'd say no. I don't think there's such a thing as 'normal'." The corners of his mouth turn up at my response.

He extends his hand. "I'm Alex."

My body temperature rises at our first touch. "Leah."
-
As I start to grab my luggage from above me, I see his arm reach up. "I got it," he says, flashing that pearly white smile I know so well.

"Thanks," I blush, looking away as soon as we make eye contact. I've known him for so long, yet I'm just as nervous as I was the first time I met him.

We both make our way off of the plane and go our separate ways. I want to say goodbye, but his phone rings, so I start heading towards the exit while I call Gabby to pick me up. A year ago things went so differently. We exchanged numbers and met for coffee, but this time I find myself walking out alone, without an "Alex" contact in my phone.

As I walk through the automatic doors into the hot summer air, I hear a shout.

"Leah! Leah!"

I know that voice anywhere. I look up and I see him, running through the airport to catch up with me. Once he finally approaches me, he's out of breath, trying to regain his composure.

"I know we just met, but I would love to see you again, if you'd like."

"Here," I say, handing him my phone. He puts his number in and I immediately text him so that he has mine. "Call me sometime?"

"You'll be hearing from me very soon," he smiles.

Gabby's car pulls up to the pick up area. "Leah!" she yells, waving her arms to get my attention.

I give Alex one last smile before I get into her car.

"Who was that?" she asks with a smirk on her face.

"Just some guy I met on the plane," I respond, trying to suppress my blush.

"I saw you guys exchange numbers. I bet you'll be seeing a lot of him in the future," she says as she starts to drive away.

I look at him through the window until our line of sight is broken.

You have no idea.